Hermann food

Natalie44

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Hi!

So I’m looking around the shops atm so suitable good for my 7 month old hermann which is soon to arrive, and I haven’t got a clue what greens are suitable for him! Is what I’ve found okay?

Attachments

• IMG_4893.jpeg
    IMG_4893.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4892.jpeg
    IMG_4892.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4896.jpeg
    IMG_4896.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4894.jpeg
    IMG_4894.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi!

So I’m looking around the shops atm so suitable good for my 7 month old hermann which is soon to arrive, and I haven’t got a clue what greens are suitable for him! Is what I’ve found okay?
Curly kale (4th picture), and mix on the first photo are fine. Not sure what's inside Italian salad, likely rucola (aka arugula aka rocket) - it's fine to feed too. Don't buy too much - one bag for a week is probably enough and you don't have to offer 100 different greens in one meal, just rotate the offerings. And add some "spice" - e.g. broadleaf plantain, dandelions and so on if you can find some outside.

Also check "Feeding" section here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/ and this site https://thetortoisetable.org.uk (they also have a smartphone app, which is convenient for shopping and "weed hunting")

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Definitely check out the links alex has given you, the tortoise table definitely comes in handy🙂you could check out the wildflower section for lots of different weeds that are safe to feed, if you find an area you can source from that hasn’t been touched by fertilisers or pesticides it’s handy! There’s plenty of secluded spots to find, failing that, seeds online and plant your own😊

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Curly kale is part of the brassica family. Try to avoid feeding too many brassica plants too often, since they contain goitrogens.

Here is what the tortoise table has to say about them: "Goitrogens compromise thyroid activity by interfering with iodine uptake and this could cause liver and kidney lesions. Thyroid hormones are associated with skin cells, growth and metabolism so any interference with this can lead to problems with shedding and cause slow growth. Goitrogenic glycoside can be found in plants of the Brassica and related families, including Cabbage, Kale, Spinach and some hot peppery-flavoured plants like Wild Mustard, and can also contribute towards the formation of kidney and bladder stones."

I recommend finding some good pellets like Mazuri or Agrobs to supplement for fiber, especially in the winter when you can't get fibrous weeds from outdoors.

On the tortoise table there are a few good articles to help you build up a healthy diet:

Understanding tortoise diets: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tortoise-diet/understanding-diets/

A healthy diet: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tortoise-diet/healthy-diets/

Supplementation: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tortoise-diet/minerals-and-supplements/

Harmful properties to look out for: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tortoise-diet/harmful-properties/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi!

All of those are fine, but it is best to avoid the expensive grocery store food and feed free weeds, leaves and flowers.

If you must use grocery store foods, they need to be amended to add calcium, fiber, variety and nutrition. All of this is explained in the diet section of the care sheet that Alex linked above.

Natalie44

Essex
All of those are fine, but it is best to avoid the expensive grocery store food and feed free weeds, leaves and flowers.

If you must use grocery store foods, they need to be amended to add calcium, fiber, variety and nutrition. All of this is explained in the diet section of the care sheet that Alex linked above.
Okay gotcha 👍 thank you for the information. What about turtle vine? Is that safe for them to eat?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay gotcha 👍 thank you for the information. What about turtle vine? Is that safe for them to eat?
I'm not familiar with "turtle vine". I looked it up on this website, and it says it is poisonous:

Scroll down. Its near the bottom:

Natalie44

Essex
I'm not familiar with "turtle vine". I looked it up on this website, and it says it is poisonous:

Thank you for that- so strange though as I found the plant on the tortoise den website and says it’s safe lol

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you for that- so strange though as I found the plant on the tortoise den website and says it’s safe lol
Yeah on some of those sites I’ve seen them selling moss too, idk why😣
For the most part the variety they offer is great, but definitely always double check each plant’s safety👍

Natalie44

Essex
Yeah on some of those sites I’ve seen them selling moss too, idk why😣
For the most part the variety they offer is great, but definitely always double check each plant’s safety👍
Yea I’ll always double check. I just assumed because it’s a well known website for tortoises they would know their stuff…..maybe not 🤷🏻‍♀️

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yea I’ll always double check. I just assumed because it’s a well known website for tortoises they would know their stuff…..maybe not 🤷🏻‍♀️
Yeah same! That one has surprised me tbh! When I’m going on there I’m always looking for a particular plant so I’ve never really had to look at their entire variety, I think the best way to avoid stuff like that is asking around on here what common plants people put in for their Hermanns and then going to the sites with plants already in mind🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I suppose to some degree it’s the same as going into what are meant to be ‘reputable reptile stores’ and they’re selling all the wrong stuff mixed with some good stuff, we have to rely on ourselves for the research on what’s right/wrong, sucks that’s how it is when we should be able to trust them but at least we have this community on here🥰

Natalie44

Essex
Yeah same! That one has surprised me tbh! When I’m going on there I’m always looking for a particular plant so I’ve never really had to look at their entire variety, I think the best way to avoid stuff like that is asking around on here what common plants people put in for their Hermanns and then going to the sites with plants already in mind🙂
The thing is- I’ve tried getting the popular ones that everyone seems to go for but they’re sold out on the websites that sell organic plants 😑

Natalie44

Essex
I suppose to some degree it’s the same as going into what are meant to be ‘reputable reptile stores’ and they’re selling all the wrong stuff mixed with some good stuff, we have to rely on ourselves for the research on what’s right/wrong, sucks that’s how it is when we should be able to trust them but at least we have this community on here🥰
Very true that :) grateful for this community!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
The thing is- I’ve tried getting the popular ones that everyone seems to go for but they’re sold out on the websites that sell organic plants 😑
Yeah that’s the trouble because they’re so popular😣best to keep an eye out, one of mine is currently out of stock and now the company is one break so won’t be shipping till the 24th🙃

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Spider plants and pothos are very easy to propagate if you can find a friend, neighbor or family member that has one.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Spider plants and pothos are very easy to propagate if you can find a friend, neighbor or family member that has one.
I’ve always got SO many spider babies I’m propagating in water! My mother plant is a good few years old now and is constantly having them!
Best thing you can do Natalie is get your hands on a spider plant that’s been in safe soil, let it get established outside the enclosure to serve as the mother plant and have a never ending supply! They’re great! Once the babies are a good size you simply cut off their stem from the mother, let them sit in water for a few weeks(keep refreshing the water)and you’ll see roots start to grow at the bottom, once the roots are a decent length pop then into some safe soil, drench in water when first potted so the plant doesn’t go into shock from water to soil lol

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

Tortoise Table lists this plant (also known as "creeping inch") as moderately safe. Both TTT and the article linked mention that plant is unsafe due to presence of calcium oxalate crystals. They are not safe for mammals to consume and can cause skin rash and irritation however tortoises eat them just fine. The plant is not poisonous per se.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Tortoise Table lists this plant (also known as "creeping inch") as moderately safe. Both TTT and the article linked mention that plant is unsafe due to presence of calcium oxalate crystals. They are not safe for mammals to consume and can cause skin rash and irritation however tortoises eat them just fine. The plant is not poisonous per se.
Some interesting insight as always Alex!
I’d probably personally opt to air on the side of caution with that one and not use it but that’s just me

Anastasia 22

Texas

If you must use grocery store foods, they need to be amended to add calcium, fiber, variety and nutrition. All of this is explained in the diet section of the care sheet that Alex linked
Unpleasant side of getting greens from grocery stores is wax. They wax even organics. Unfortunately.