Hermann Hibernation!

Amyfranklin20

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I have a Hermann tortoise, he is 2 years old and i wont be hibernating him this year as he is too young.
But i am new to the whole tortoise thing and although ive spent hours researching on forums, i am a little bit lost.
I have been keeping him active, waking him up every morning and putting him near his heat lamp to warm up, warm baths every other day and fresh food and water. we have even moved his enclosure near the boiler and radiator so its always a little warmer than the rest of the house.
But recently he just isnt interested in anything, i will wake him up in the morning and after a bath and some time under his lamp he just ignores his food and wanders off to the darker part of his enclosure and digs back into the same corner to sleep again! He has always been lazy but not this much, he used to wake up, eat his food and play around until about 3pm.
Obviously i understand they all slow down when it gets colder, but im a little concerned that he isnt eating so much!

Some advice would be much appreciated! :)

Attachments

• 1234098_10200460072569496_287240510_n.jpg
    1234098_10200460072569496_287240510_n.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 66

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
we have even moved his enclosure near the boiler and radiator so its always a little warmer than the rest of the house.

Have you checked the temps from coolest side through to basking spot? If you are too cold or too hot the tort will also hide....once you have checked all set up then perhaps he is simply being driven by his evolutionary clock...if you are keeping him up this winter then you will need to work at it....:D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Create a 14-hour light cycle (simulating summer in his mind) and get the temperatures right (70 on the cool end and 95-100 over his basking spot) and he won't ever want to hibernate.

And he'll be perfectly happy/healthy. :cool:

MiniDino

London, UK
Hi everyone,

I’ve just read this thread as I’m having exactly the same issue. i have 2 little female hermanns tortoises that i rescued earlier in the yr. Age 5 but very small for their age with bad shell rot and dog bite injuries.
The shell problems are doing really well & I chose not to hibinate them until they’d had more time to get healthy.
I bought them inside in September (UK weather), & have made them an enclosure with megarays heat lamps and nice substrate etc.
Frida is doing great, enjoying her soaks and dandelions and home grown food.
unfortunately her little sister is struggling to stay awake. I get her up each morning and pop her under her lamp. I give her a little hay to hide her head in as she loves to feel cover. But she’s stopped eating, and goes off and burrows herself away. I keep getting up but same thing all week.
Should I allow her go into brumation or should i persist? Im concerned she’s not strong or well enough to fair well but if i keep her up then she needs to start to eat.
Any help appreciated.

Heat lamps approx 28-30 degrees C (82-86f)
Ambient day 17-19 degrees C (62-66)
Ambient night 17-18 C degrees

thank you.