Hermann or Horsfield: Which is easiest to take care of?

Freddywoozy

Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I am planning on getting a Russian tortoise (1 year old and roughly 2 inches), and was wondering whether or not to go for a Hermann instead. :confused:
I'd probably go for a Russian. This is because i read that it is more tolerant to colder climates, and being in the UK (suffolk), this is gonna prove helpful.
But i was wondering on any of your opinions either, and you can talk about any tortoise, but im trying to focus on just these...

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
I am planning on getting a Russian tortoise (1 year old and roughly 2 inches), and was wondering whether or not to go for a Hermann instead. :confused:
I'd probably go for a Russian. This is because i read that it is more tolerant to colder climates, and being in the UK (suffolk), this is gonna prove helpful.
But i was wondering on any of your opinions either, and you can talk about any tortoise, but im trying to focus on just these...

Either one is ok to be honest with you. Also something else to consider are Greek tortoises. UK weather is similar to San Francisco i hear so a cold frame for the outdoor enclosure is advisable. ^^ Which ever you pick, it should be fine.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I keep both and they are so similar it doesn't make much of a difference. My Russians tend to be a little more aggressive at eating time than the Hermann's, but other than that, both kinds are happy, friendly tortoises. Let us know what you get!