Hermann Tort in Kansas

newtortmami

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello, where do I start. So, I've got a Hermann Tortoise. Just got him for my birthday in August. So far he is great. Took about a week to get him on a schedule (since we got him from Petco and he came with no instructions) But he is a very active adult tort. We keep him indoors and we live in Kansas. So the weather is unpredictable. Right now it's like 90 degrees in October, tomorrow it could be 60. Lol
Anyhoo, my little guy has a healthy appetite. Loves iceberg lettuce, kale, green peppers and a occasional tomato her and there. I also add calcium to his plate. He soaks between 10-25 minutes every other day. He loves roaming the house. We put up kiddy gates to keep him in. He also has a large homemade cedar wood enclosure. It's about 5 feet by 3 feet. I've filed it with repti-soil on the bottom and cedar chips on top. I am trying my best to provide for him based on what I watched on YouTube.

My only issue is "hibernation" . I know nothing about that and scared I might mess something up. In his enclosure, I've made an insulated box that he crawls in to sleep at night. It's well ventilated, keeps him warm and when it's hot outside, I leave the flap up to keep him cool.

I noticed that he's slowing down and sleeping more this past week because the temperatures at night dip. I don't know if his natural body clock tells him it's time to hibernate.

Does he have too? Or just getting extra sleep on cold days okay? I don't know what I am doing. Sorry to ramble but please, let me know. If so, how do I keep him hydrated while sleeping?

Attachments

• PXL_20241003_192246031.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20241003_192246031.MP~2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20241001_210042895~2.jpg
    PXL_20241001_210042895~2.jpg
    942.5 KB · Views: 0