Hermanni Boettgeri

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobAndSunni

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster, England
Hi guys just a quick question about a recent advert I have seen for the sale of some Hermanni Boettgeri tortoises.
There are some really light coloured ones and I was just wondering if any of you had ever seen this before as usually Hermanni Boettgeri are quite dark (well to my knowledge anyway).

Attachments

• Hermanni Boettgeri.jpg
    Hermanni Boettgeri.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 120

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
They come in a wide range of shades. This is Emrys. He's pretty light as far as they go.

395590_10150552902735746_505660745_10647729_238544564_n.jpg

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Much of their color contrast comes from how they are being kept. Eastern Hermann's, Testudo species and many other tortoise species in general will look much "brighter" with more color contrast when raised indoors under artificial light.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
GBtortoises said:
Much of their color contrast comes from how they are being kept. Eastern Hermann's, Testudo species and many other tortoise species in general will look much "brighter" with more color contrast when raised indoors under artificial light.

That's interesting. Emrys seems to 'lighten up' when he's been out in the real sun for a while.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I should have clarified what I said better. Tortoises raised indoors have a brighter more contrasting (usually darker) colors. Tortoises outdoors have more colors true to their species but the contrast is not as sharp.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
GBtortoises said:
I should have clarified what I said better. Tortoises raised indoors have a brighter more contrasting (usually darker) colors. Tortoises outdoors have more colors true to their species but the contrast is not as sharp.

Ah, gotcha!

Status
Not open for further replies.