Hermann's and geographical elevation

Status
Not open for further replies.

j156ghs

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vail Colorado
I live at 8,000 feet above sea level. I'm told there can be 10-25 percent less oxygen at this level. Does anyone have information on the effect of elevation on Hermann's? I have some lizards and amphibians and they all seem to do fine -- eat well, active and so on. So the elevation doesn't seem to have much if any effect on them.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I'd be interested in know this too. Not that It applies to me...but It would be nice to know :)

Watermelon

5 Year Member
I guess they would adapt....or be less lively till they adapt. Then again when do their heart rates really get that high so they dont need much oxygen anyway?

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I don't think it would be a problem at all. As watermellon says they don't have a high need for oxygen and would maybe just work their lungs a little more. In some parts, Hermanns live at significant altitudes. Maybe not at the tops of high mountains, due to lack of food.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Generally speaking Hermann's of all subspecies live at altitudes far lower than 8,000 feet. There are very few populations in the wild higher than 5,000-5,500 feet above sea level throughout most of their range. But this is probably mainly due to the lower elevations being a much better source of food and shelter for them.

Even so, I doubt that elevations as high as 8,000 feet will matter.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
My Hermanns and I live at 7,580 feet. The biggest difference I see at this at this altitude, from what other forum members report, is in the effects of the sun on outdoor temperatures, and the torts' basking/eating habits in relation to that. Warmth here is very fragile, for lack of a better way to put it. On a 60 degree day, the sun WILL NOT warm surfaces enough for torts to be comfortable out there. It has to be 75 degrees out, with full sun, for my guys to be active and eating in their outdoor enclosure. And I have to be alert for cloud cover and wind, because they can drop the temps very rapidly. I hope that helps.

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I found this thread very informative - especially that post from Edna. Must be tough at times keeping torts in those conditions.

j156ghs

5 Year Member
Vail Colorado
You people are great. Thanks for all the replies. The short warm season at this elevation (mid 70s, days, to low 40s, nights) spares us a lot of bugs (for example, cockroaches cannot survive at this elevation) and bacteria and mold that could harm a tortoise. The bad part is we have about 9 months without access to greens and flowers I can pick for him to eat in summer.

I also cut by half the time my lizards, tortoise and turtle spend outside this time of year because the sun's rays are brutally hot at this elevation -- like standing in front of a broiler. Even in winter, the sun feels hot, whereas at sea level I recall the sun feeling like standing in front of a light bulb -- not much warmth at all. Skiers frequently get sun burn here because the UV rays are so strong, especially above 10,000 feet.

Anyway, my tortoise and I appreciate you all thinking about him. We'll send good vibes your way, too!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi j156ghs:

I know you're in Colorado, but did we ever learn your name?

Status
Not open for further replies.