Hermann's Hatchling Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

OctopusMagic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia
Hey, all. I placed an order for a hatchling Hermann's tortoise a few weeks ago, and I'll be picking him up on Friday. To my understanding, the tort is a spring hatchling and will be my first tortoise. I've been doing as much research as I can for the past few months before deciding to purchase. I've read care sheets and browsed the forums as well. I'm just looking for any last-minute pointers or advice in regards to keeping it happy and healthy for its babyhood. Recommended schedules, temperatures, humidity, and enclosure set up would be awesome plus anything else you can think of. Once again, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correct as I've read that hatchlings are very delicate. Thank you all in advance!

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
I'd recommend getting a timer for the lights. I got one for my girl and I'm loving it. Now I no longer have to rely on me or my dad to take care of the lights. I can come home late or spend the night with a friend and not worry.

Stay away from sand as a substrate, it's irritating and dangerous :) I use just plain topsoil for my girl who loves to dig. I'm sure Hermann's do too. It's cheep and easy. Two dollars a bag and the bag is HUGE.

I am no expert but these are just mistakes have made and would like to help prevent in other people. Enjoy your baby :)

OctopusMagic

5 Year Member
Philadelphia
I really like the idea of timers! I had been contemplating it, but you have me pretty sold. It'll be one less stress that I have to worry about when taking care of my tort. I read in too many places that sand is a bad idea, so I went with cypress mulch, but after I give that a shot, I will probably give the top soil a try too, especially since it's so cheap. Thanks a lot for the advice! :)

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
OctopusMagic said:
I really like the idea of timers! I had been contemplating it, but you have me pretty sold. It'll be one less stress that I have to worry about when taking care of my tort. I read in too many places that sand is a bad idea, so I went with cypress mulch, but after I give that a shot, I will probably give the top soil a try too, especially since it's so cheap. Thanks a lot for the advice! :)

For me, my timer has helped a TON I didn't get home till nine thirty last night and her light was already out. No stress :)

And for me, the sand likes to get in eyes and irritate my poor girl, and for babies it can be dangerous. I've heard members like to use cypress mulch, it's just hard to dig in. Give it a go and let me know how you like it :)

Can't wait for pictures of the pretty baby.

ashleydejuliannie

5 Year Member
Hi, I am trying to get more information on Hermann turtles because I hope to buy a hatchling soon. :) How much and where can you get timer lights? And what lighting fixtures do you recommend and where did you get them? Thank you ahead of time for any advice you can give me :)

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
The timer is bought separate from the lights. It can be found at hardware stores, home improvement stores, and stores like Walmart. You plug it into the outlet, and plug the light into it. Then you can program the timer to have your tortoise's light come on in the morning and turn off at night.

I do not know the light and heat requirements for a Hermanns Tortoise. Hopefully someone else can help you with that. Keep researching on this forum. Maybe we have a care sheet somewhere. Also try the lighting section under Enclosures. I'm sure someone has asked your question before.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Andrea M

5 Year Member
I've had my Hermann (Hokie) from 8 weeks old, the timers are definitely a good idea. I tried top soil but found it a bit heavy for him, I swapped to coco choir and find he can burrow well, it's easy to keep moist, doesn't smell and doesn't get mouldy. I buy mixed weed seeds from shelled warriors shop and grow them on the window sill in old plastic containers and move them into his table when they're big enough, he climbs on them, hides in them and woofs them down! I've tried loads of different mixes but these are definitely his favourites, purple campanula plants and dandelion flowers are definately the favourites though. Enjoy your new companion x

ashleydejuliannie

5 Year Member
Where can you buy dandelions? Because we get our yard sprayed. Although I do have neighbors who dont. And I don't think they'd mind if I came and took some xD How many weeds can they have per week?

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Weeds are unlimited, this should be their main diet, you can get dandelions from anywhere you think hasn't been treated.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Tortoises will consume most weeds. As a rule of thumb weeds that are know to be toxic to humans or other animals should not be fed to tortoises. As well as of course, any weeds that are suspect to have been sprayed with any type of weed or insect killer.

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Check out the shelled warrior shop, either on their site or eBay, they sell bags of seeds, you can also add things you pick yourself like dandelion flowers etc, as long as they haven't got chemicals etc on them

Status
Not open for further replies.