Hermann's Just passed.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
@MenagerieGrl
I didn't think you would mind this on your thread. It fits in so well.

jr_16

Fontana Ca
I had inherited a Hermann's Tort (Eastern Hermann's)(He/she was found on a Freeway Off ramp) I've had her/him for bout 8 years.
Last year, /AUGUST he/she stopped eating. took her/him to Berkeley Dog and Cat Hospital. Only local Hospital that took care of exotics.
Xrays were inconclusive. They thought she/he had an infection (respiratory?). They prescribed antibiotics, I administered Antibiotics over the course of two weeks.
She/he seemed to get better and started eating again. Yay.
Upon refection, I don't know if she/he ever got back to 100% of her/his past activity. When she/he was in their prime, I would stick my finger down in front of her/him, and
she/he would open her/his mouth and try to eat my finger, ouch!
Fast forward to this year, October..she/he stopped eating again. In her/his prime she/he weighed 825g, she/he was down to 647g.
Took her/him back to Berkeley Dog and Cat Hospital again, a new Dr., more Xrays, ended up giving her/him SubQ, and tube feed him.
Another course of antibiotics for two weeks.
Did this feeding for bout two weeks every other day, she/he seemed to be more active until yesterday,
Put her/him in a tub of warm water like usual to soak, then realized she/he was not moving. Concluded she/he had passed earlier in the day.
I had seen her/him moving around earlier in the day
So sad...
Just venting, sorry
I’m sorry for your loss. I can’t even imagine how it feels to lose a tortoise, but she’ll be in my prayers.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
@MenagerieGrl

Thank you for passing this on. This is great. The people who produced it are great too. What a wonderful way to educate people. If only more people thought like this.
I am still sorrowful did something ignorant with two fish once. When I was younger, I stupidly put a goldfish (one of those "fairground prizes" into an aquarium with an angelfish. It wasn't long before the goldfish began eating the lovely little angelfish alive. It still gives me the horrors, and I still shed tears when I think about it.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
@MenagerieGrl

Thank you KarenSoCal, that was such a lovely read, and fitting....I'm NOT just a...(fill in the blank) I'm a living breathing creature...