Kidney Failure

Missmeg

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
So a little good news! Today, I put her outside with some food even though she hasn’t been eating on her own and she took a few bites. She seemed to have a hard time swallowing and seemed to be in some pain. She also had a little fluid coming out of her nostrils. Guessing she still has some fluid from her respiratory infection. We see the vet on Monday for some more fluids so I will update.

Missmeg

Las Vegas
I would ask about sub q fluids at home , and I do believe b complex stimulates appetite , and makes them feel better …….. did she recently come out of hibernation ? I would keep her temps 80-85 and not depend on her to regulate her own temp …...I believe off blood work levels may also just indicate dehydration ? i'd keep her in as optimum conditions as I could and bother her as little as I had too …… when was the last time she ate on her own ? I've never been a fan of force feeding them , not there isn't a place for it , but to me it's among the last resorts …….it takes months and months for them to starve to death ……...
Hey, just wanted to update you since you suggested going home with fluids. Today, I put Harrison outside with some food and let her be. Within a few minutes she ate all the greens and a little zucchini! It was the first time she ate in weeks! We had an appointment with the vet to be shown how to administer her fluids. I told them she finally ate, but they seemed reluctant for her to get better. They said her kidney results suggested renal failure but to keep up fluids and that eating was a good sign. They said 1-2 times a week and in a month they will recheck her blood. Hoping for the best, but they did leave me with some feeling of doubt. I’m certain she ate some weed killer. Hoping I can flush her system and she can improve. Warm soaks, too. I’ll keep you posted.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
eating is always a good sign , she has to feel better ……..

Missmeg

Las Vegas
Update! After Harrison’s 2nd round of antibiotics for her RI she was still not eating. The vet thought she was having kidney failure. I think her kidney levels tested high because her blood was drawn after her first set of antibiotics so figured that’s what could have thrown it off.

I took her back in and got some sub q fluids to administer at home. After about 4 days from her first injection she started eating on her own. We gave her the 2nd round and now she is eating 3X a day! She is peeing frequently and a couple days ago started pooping. She seems a lot more active and starting to seem like her normal self. In a couple weeks I’m going to retest her blood and see if there has been any improvements. She’s been getting 30 min warm soaks a day, as well. Really happy she has seemed to have a turn around and hoping her kidney levels are better.