Hermanns tortoise pyramiding

sarahxmuldunne

Location (City and/or State)
dublin
I have two hermanns tortoises and they are starting to pyramid a little. I have checked temperature and humidity. I put them in like warm water for 10 mins at least 5 days a week and use calcium supplement. How can I stop pyramiding?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
provide pictures of them and your setup. Describe the entire setup as well. type of lights, heating elements, etc...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have two hermanns tortoises and they are starting to pyramid a little. I have checked temperature and humidity. I put them in like warm water for 10 mins at least 5 days a week and use calcium supplement. How can I stop pyramiding?
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If your enclosure has an open top and dry substrate, it will be too dry. If you are using the wrong type of basking bulb, that can dry out the carapace and cause pyramiding. Several of us believe that there is also a stress component to pyramiding in some cases. If these two are living together as a pair, that could also be contributing to it. Tortoises should never live as pairs.

What size tortoises are they? Babies under 100 grams should be soaked daily for 30-40 minutes. If they are larger than that, what you are doing should be fine.