Hermanns tortoise - pyramiding??

Megang97

Location (City and/or State)
Portsmouth, uk
I wouldnt worry, your tort doesnt look unhealthy. coco coir and orchid bark are generally the best, soil is not reccomended because you just cant know what foreign objects or toxins might be in it. These guys can tolerate lower humidity than the tropical species but a humid hide is important, they are easy to make if you dont have one already.

thank you for the recommendation I’ll definitely look into getting him some! He seems to like the soil more and runs around and digs himself a little spot to nap, with the bark he seemed to stumble around a lot more ☺

zovick

10 Year Member!
This might be a better picture of his size
The best way to show a tortoise's size in a photo is to place a ruler next to the tortoise and take a picture from above so that the entire tortoise can be seen along with the ruler and its markings.

O

Olive_Hermann

This might be a better picture of his size
Hi ya, have you checked your temperatures under the bulb, I think he sitting on the rock to get higher to the heat, where he is on the rock looks about the right height for a 30c-32c temperature, what is the temperature Olive my tortoise seems to like the best but that’s obviously depending on bulb type, watt etc.
He is very cute. Also a lot of articles I’ve read from Garden State Tortoise or Tortoise Trust etc do not recommend a vivarium set up. But I’m fairly new to this so can’t say. Link attached x
https://www.gardenstatetortoise.com/hermanns-tortoise

Megang97

Portsmouth, uk
Hi ya, have you checked your temperatures under the bulb, I think he sitting on the rock to get higher to the heat, where he is on the rock looks about the right height for a 30c-32c temperature, what is the temperature Olive my tortoise seems to like the best but that’s obviously depending on bulb type, watt etc.
He is very cute. Also a lot of articles I’ve read from Garden State Tortoise or Tortoise Trust etc do not recommend a vivarium set up. But I’m fairly new to this so can’t say. Link attached x
https://www.gardenstatetortoise.com/hermanns-tortoise

Hi! You can’t tell too well but the hide is right at the front of his viv and he’s got plenty of basking space behind, it’s 35 degrees Celsius under his lamp and around 32 at the hot end away from it. He’s climbs up his hide and slides down it, he’s not the smartest?

thank you, I took some advice with a friend whose had his torts for about 12 years and he suggested I got one so I went with it - I’m thinking of upgrading it next year anyway so open to any suggestions!☺

Last edited:

Megang97

Portsmouth, uk
The best way to show a tortoise's size in a photo is to place a ruler next to the tortoise and take a picture from above so that the entire tortoise can be seen along with the ruler and its markings.

thank you! I’ll do that soon☺️