Hey Guys, I Was Looking For Some Help, Wasn't Sure Where To Post

KC and Jammers

Hi, me and my (approx) six month old tort like to have lots of together time, and normally this goes fine, with my bud crawls all around or falls asleep on me (sometimes I'm up later and he likes to have an early bedtime). We have never had many problems with accidents, there were a few poos here and there but that's to be expected. But today my bud peed through three of my shirts (each after only being with him for about five or less minutes). Do you think I'm stressing my bud out or frightening the little dude? His pee and poos seem to be normal and he's been eating and drinking well (more than previously as he has taken a liking to the new dry kibble I'm getting him). I was just hoping to get some advice or feedback for this. I don't want to harm or stress him in any way.
Thanks, KC

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tortoises are not the right kind of pet for cuddling and interaction. How much it stresses him depends on many factors, but in general they poo and pee when they feel like it.

What species are we talking about? Age and size?

And dry pellets are not a good diet for any of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

KC and Jammers

Tortoises are not the right kind of pet for cuddling and interaction. How much it stresses him depends on many factors, but in general they poo and pee when they feel like it.

What species are we talking about? Age and size?

And dry pellets are not a good diet for any of them.
He's a marginated tortoise, three and a half inches and about six to eight months. I feed him mainly greens (he especially likes kale and dandelion greens) but give him a pinch of the dry stuff because I'm a bit worried that he doesn't eat enough (and he gobbles it right up). He drinks plenty of water and gets a soak every morning. Thank you so much for responding, and I'm glad to hear that torts don't mind cuddles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of us here are not advocates of allowing the tortoise to wander around on the floor. My belief is a tortoise should have his own, dedicated habitat that is set up to mimic the country were he came from, and he should be kept there...and preferably outside.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!

I do not think that torts can be cuddled like a cat/dog. They are not sociable and do not like/want company. I'd leave him in his enclosure.

Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
The only time I get peed on is if Speedy doesn't like the way I am handling him , which is as little as possible ! ;)

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Weird, people here talk about stressed out torts. I can take Nadine from her food dish, carry her upside down, weigh her, carry her again any way I want, set her back in tank and she goes right back to eating as if uninterrupted. Stress? Nope. Even while doing those things, she just calmly looks around probably looking to score more food.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sometimes you get unlucky. I suspect few of us haven't been peed over at sometime. For me it's usually when I decide I can transport Joe from a soak to wherever without bothering to put him in a dish-washing bowl :D

That said, I agree with others. They're happiest with 4 feet on the floor and aren't really cuddly pets for handling.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Weird, people here talk about stressed out torts. I can take Nadine from her food dish, carry her upside down, weigh her, carry her again any way I want, set her back in tank and she goes right back to eating as if uninterrupted. Stress? Nope. Even while doing those things, she just calmly looks around probably looking to score more food.

And that is why sulcatas are so darn popular and likable.

Do that same thing with a star or a leopard and it might not give the same result.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
And that is why sulcatas are so darn popular and likable.

Do that same thing with a star or a leopard and it might not give the same result.
She still doesn't poo in her soaks, either. But she does like to leave big black "slugs" in the food dish.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
There is a thread on here somewhere by @maggie3fan about how it is unwise to get a sulcata used to climbing on your lap because when they start weighing over 100 pounds it can get painful.