Hi! Advice needed!

kokopellisbutler

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
In Arizona I got a sulcata hatchling (no clue how old) and its been a little over a year and he isn't big at all(idk gender I just say he lol)

For care he is currently in a 40 gal (upgrading soon) uvb and basking light included ceramic heat emitter thats on 24/7. Basking is in the 100 degree range while warm side is 88 and "cool" is 79-81 degrees.

He has made it very clear that mazuri diet, dry or soak hay is stupid and he barely eats it. Super frustrating he is great with other greens. He soaks himself almost every day but I give him a soak every other or every 2 days depending if I saw him soaking himself or find a poo in his dish.

What am I doing wrong cause the internet says he should be bigger!

Edit: I do not live in Arizona I live in Minnesota so housing him outside is not an option

Thanks! 16851354740613731636519987670064.jpg

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I know almost nothing about sulcata and babies, but I can say your guy is pyramiding already so needs an enclosed chamber and higher humidity. As far as people who do know things, please read this starter page. Its long and has a LOT of info, its really dense, but it will help you make better choices for your little one. I will say, having Sulcata in MN is going to be hard, you have your work cut out of you...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! You have already got some very good advice. Please take the time to read through the sheet and follow what it says, for your little one's future health.

kokopellisbutler

Minnesota
I know almost nothing about sulcata and babies, but I can say your guy is pyramiding already so needs an enclosed chamber and higher humidity. As far as people who do know things, please read this starter page. Its long and has a LOT of info, its really dense, but it will help you make better choices for your little one. I will say, having Sulcata in MN is going to be hard, you have your work cut out of you...

Thanks! Im planning on moving to a desert state in a few years!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, wow. . . he's VERY pyramided! This baby must be living in extremely dry conditions to have pyramided that badly in such a short period of time.

Here's how I conquer that condition:

The fir bark substrate in my babies enclosure is WET. I pour a pitcherful of water over the substrate then mix it up with my hand, adding more water as needed. There are six or eight potted plants set around in the enclosure. Rather than using a dessicating MVB light for UVB, I use a tube-type UVB light and either a CHE on a thermostat or a radiant heat panel for heat. And my baby enclosure is all closed in, even the top. And my babies don't go outside for the first year of their lives. I raise babies with smooth shells. . . leopards, sulcatas, russians, desert tortoises.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Baby Sulcatas need humid, warm conditions to grow healthy with smooth shells. They must not be kept in dry conditions. They are not born or grow up in the open desert like you seem to have been told. Your little tortoise needs for you to change how he is being kept. Please do follow all that Yvonne has advised. Thanks!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome , a closed enclosure is a must. Humidity needs to be 80% inside enclosure. Get a digital thermometer/ hydrometer. Locate in the bottom of enclosure.
Screenshot_20221015-195115_Chrome.jpg
In Arizona I got a sulcata hatchling (no clue how old) and its been a little over a year and he isn't big at all(idk gender I just say he lol)

For care he is currently in a 40 gal (upgrading soon) uvb and basking light included ceramic heat emitter thats on 24/7. Basking is in the 100 degree range while warm side is 88 and "cool" is 79-81 degrees.

He has made it very clear that mazuri diet, dry or soak hay is stupid and he barely eats it. Super frustrating he is great with other greens. He soaks himself almost every day but I give him a soak every other or every 2 days depending if I saw him soaking himself or find a poo in his dish.

What am I doing wrong cause the internet says he should be bigger!

Edit: I do not live in Arizona I live in Minnesota so housing him outside is not an option

Thanks! View attachment 357311
It is way too early to feed him hay. Mazuri makes 2 kinds of feed. Mazuri LS and Mazuri 5M21. Most tortoises prefer THE 5M21. My sully didn't start eating the Mazuri till he was 2 years old. It is one of his favorites now