Hi can someone sex my sulcata please

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiseLover18

5 Year Member
hi i have a 11 inch sulcata and i was woundering if any one could sex it or is to young to tell i dont know the age one of my good friends gave it to me.

Attachments

• my tort.JPG
    my tort.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 182

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Still a little early, but looking a bit female to me. Also looks like she's about to poop in that pic. Did she?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
does your friend have any idea how old? how long did they have it? at that size.. it could be 2 years or more...

tortoiseLover18

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Still a little early, but looking a bit female to me. Also looks like she's about to poop in that pic. Did she?
yes she did ha didnt expect that to happen

tortoiseLover18

5 Year Member
Laura said:
does your friend have any idea how old? how long did they have it? at that size.. it could be 2 years or more...

when he gave it to me he said that it was two years old so im guessing that he had for two years

bfmorris

5 Year Member
Gender could still go either way.Try to watch closely when the tortoise pushes out a stool; you may see him evert his penis at that time, which will give a definitive answer to what his gender is. However, a lack of spotting a penis does not mean you have a female with 100 percent certainty at this size. Some males can mature very late, and look like females before they begin maturing. I have an animal that, at about 18 inches, I'd have sworn was a female; flat plastron, small tail. It later grew into a monster sized male.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I believe that you will eventually learn that this tortoise is male.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
bfmorris said:
Some males can mature very late, and look like females before they begin maturing. I have an animal that, at about 18 inches, I'd have sworn was a female; flat plastron, small tail. It later grew into a monster sized male.

My Bert was that way, except for the growing into a monster part. I was sure he was female until 8 or 9 years old. Flat plastron, small gulars, nothing definitive in the anal scutes, tail much smaller than Scooter who I knew was a male for sure. One day "Bertha" showed me he was indeed a he, and soon after that I had to separate my two males that had grown up together from hatchlings. I thought for sure I had 1.2. Nope. 2.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.