Hi everyone! We are a soon-to-be Hermann Tortoise parents.

TortoiseDog

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, Pa
We are buying our first tortoise, a Hermann, in April. We do not have an enclosure yet and I would really appreciate if someone could direct me to resources on setting up a new cage as well as care for Hermanns and even where to buy one. Glad I found this forum but I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to dig through posts.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
We are buying our first tortoise, a Hermann, in April. We do not have an enclosure yet and I would really appreciate if someone could direct me to resources on setting up a new cage as well as care for Hermanns and even where to buy one. Glad I found this forum but I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to dig through posts.
Welcome to the forum. We have a Hermanns tortoise - he is now 22, and when we first got him as a baby, there was very little information or help - we mostly just had to hope for the best !
You are lucky this forum exists, as there are people here who are very knowledgable and helpful - and also you have done exactly the right thing preparing for your future little family member well in advance.
Best wishes from Angie (in UK)

TortoiseDog

Philadelphia, Pa
Thank you! I feel like I am reading a lot of conflicting info or maybe I'm just not reading clearly. I see a lot of enclosures which are totally open and read this is bad for humidity reasons. But I also read a glass enclosure it not good. Is there something in between people are using?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
This the caresheet that will help you put everything in place ready for your new tort but ask as many questions as you like everyone here is only to happy to help new owners get everything right
This is the best place to get up to date advice from very experienced keepers who have kept torts for decades and been involved in research so look no further!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! Hello! Welcome.

This thread was made for you, and will save you countless dollars and immeasurable frustration: