Hi everyone!

woodygawek

Location (City and/or State)
Preston UK
Hello I'm Jennifer, new owner of a Russian tortoise, I've had him almost 2 weeks and he is 2 years old. Absolutely adore him and love watching him! I think I've got a good setup for him indoors, he seems happy anyway. I'm so keen to learn everything I can about how to correctly look after him and so far have been on here every day checking out even the slightest thing! I'm struggling a bit to give him a variety of foods because a lot of the plants etc on the tortoise table I don't recognise and possibly aren't even able in the UK at this time of year. So far he gets mainly spring greens, little bits of kale, watercress, tiny amounts of cucumber every few days, he loves courgette but I don't give it every day and he'll have a very small amount of aloe vera. I have only ever seen him have a drink once so I panic about him getting dehydrated so I give him a warm bath every few days. I'm sure I'll be here with plenty of questions and look forward to talking with everyone!
Jennifer

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Hello I'm Jennifer, new owner of a Russian tortoise, I've had him almost 2 weeks and he is 2 years old. Absolutely adore him and love watching him! I think I've got a good setup for him indoors, he seems happy anyway. I'm so keen to learn everything I can about how to correctly look after him and so far have been on here every day checking out even the slightest thing! I'm struggling a bit to give him a variety of foods because a lot of the plants etc on the tortoise table I don't recognise and possibly aren't even able in the UK at this time of year. So far he gets mainly spring greens, little bits of kale, watercress, tiny amounts of cucumber every few days, he loves courgette but I don't give it every day and he'll have a very small amount of aloe vera. I have only ever seen him have a drink once so I panic about him getting dehydrated so I give him a warm bath every few days. I'm sure I'll be here with plenty of questions and look forward to talking with everyone!
Jennifer
Hi Jennifer! Welcome to the forum! Although I currently live in North Florida, a while back I lived in the UK about three years. I actually remember Preston (I'm pretty sure). I used to live about ten miles south of Blackpool. :)

@JoesMum lives in the UK. She has a wealth of knowledge and experience, and she's very helpful with great advice and suggestions for local resources to assist you in the UK. You won't go wrong with her advice. :)

woodygawek

Preston UK
Hi Jennifer! Welcome to the forum! Although I currently live in North Florida, a while back I lived in the UK about three years. I actually remember Preston (I'm pretty sure). I used to live about ten miles south of Blackpool. :)

@JoesMum lives in the UK. She has a wealth of knowledge and experience, and she's very helpful with great advice and suggestions for local resources to assist you in the UK. You won't go wrong with her advice. :)

Thanks so much that's great!! How can I contact @JoesMum? Where did you live? We are pretty close to Blackpool so you will remember Preston, small world eh!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello there! I am in Kent :)

I am afraid you have been given a lot of outdated information on the care of your baby and there are changes you need to make for him to be healthy.

1. Babies need warmth and high humidity. Your enclosure is far too dry and needs to be closed in to achieve this - a closed chamber.

2. The substrate is not suitable. It needs to be an earthy type like fine grade orchid bark or coco coir that can be mixed with water so all of it is damp top to bottom and right into the corners. It’s cheapest from a garden centre or Amazon and make sure it has no additives like sand, fertilisers or calcium bits in it.

3. Those reptile bowls aren’t suitable for torts. They’re hard for a tort to use and a tipping hazard. A terracotta plant saucer makes a great water bowl. Use a piece of flat rock or slate, or even the back (rough) side of wall tile, as a food plate that will help keep your tort’s beak in shape while he eats.

4. No red lights. They colour the decor and torts are very attracted to colourful things to eat frequently ending up eating the substrate. I will post separately about lighting. Your tort needs complete darkness at night, but temperatures must be maintained at night - to do this you use a white basking spot by day and a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) with a thermostat 24/7

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's a lighting summary:

Your tort needs:

1. A basking lamp
This must hang vertically, not at an angle. Basking is essential to raise your tortoise's core temperature so it can digest food. This must be on continuously for 12-14 hours and must not be used with a thermostat.

2. UVB light
Read the instructions for the source to see how close to the substrate it must be. UVB is essential so your tort can process dietary calcium and have healthy bones and shell. This must also be on for 12-14 hours.

Both 1 and 2 are available from the sun for those able to live outside.

UVB does not pass through glass or perspex(plexiglass) - light must be direct to be effective not through a window. Mesh screening can also interfere with UVB.

3. A minimum overnight temperature (see the care sheet for your species) and complete darkness at night to sleep.

Notes

(a) A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) provides combined UVB and Basking. Alternatively you can use 2 bulbs: a tube UVB and a reflector bulb for basking (a household reflector - not low energy or halogen - from a hardware store will do the job; it's the wattage that counts) It must not be used with a thermostat, rheostat or dimmer.

(b) Ignore any references to UVA you may read - it's misleading marketing speak.

(c) Compact coil UVB harms tortoise eyes and must not be used.

(d) Basking and UVB should be on a timer so the light(s) are on for 12 hours a day. Temperature under the basking is regulated by its height above the substrate.

(e) Overnight, depending on your home, you may need additional heat. You get this from a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) which must be on a thermostat.

(f) Torts have outstanding colour vision and love red and purple food. Coloured heat lamps colour tank decor and torts don't always apply intelligence to what they eat, resulting them in eating tank decor. Coloured bulbs should not be used.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
woodygawek said:
Somebody told me that you are a really great person to talk to and full of knowledge! I wonder if you can give me some inspiration for what to give woody to eat in these winter months because I'm struggling to give him a good variety and a lot of the plants on the tortoise table I've never heard of and not sure if they're available in the UK? Thank you

Few of us manage through the winter months without supermarket greens and supplementing with a good quality pellet (soak in water to soften)

Write a list of the greens that you can buy and those that grow around you and look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed. The website is excellent and tells why something is (or isn't suitable) as well as how often you can use it.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

I used Komodo pellets which are widely available. Mazuri is very popular in the USA, but has limited availability in the UK; it can now be bought the Shelled Warriors shop
https://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/

woodygawek

Preston UK
Hello there! I am in Kent :)

I am afraid you have been given a lot of outdated information on the care of your baby and there are changes you need to make for him to be healthy.

1. Babies need warmth and high humidity. Your enclosure is far too dry and needs to be closed in to achieve this - a closed chamber.

2. The substrate is not suitable. It needs to be an earthy type like fine grade orchid bark or coco coir that can be mixed with water so all of it is damp top to bottom and right into the corners. It’s cheapest from a garden centre or Amazon and make sure it has no additives like sand, fertilisers or calcium bits in it.

3. Those reptile bowls aren’t suitable for torts. They’re hard for a tort to use and a tipping hazard. A terracotta plant saucer makes a great water bowl. Use a piece of flat rock or slate, or even the back (rough) side of wall tile, as a food plate that will help keep your tort’s beak in shape while he eats.

4. No red lights. They colour the decor and torts are very attracted to colourful things to eat frequently ending up eating the substrate. I will post separately about lighting. Your tort needs complete darkness at night, but temperatures must be maintained at night - to do this you use a white basking spot by day and a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) with a thermostat 24/7

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Hi @JoesMum thank you for your reply. I feel sad that I'm not doing things right for my tortoise after getting so much advice from lots of online sites and also the pet shop where I bought him. It was them that said I should use a red bulb because he won't be able to see it at night but at least that is easily fixed. My overnight temperature is actually quite good I think, the room stays at about 22 degrees. As for him being in an open table I thought it was fine because of the temperatures in the house and I do spray everything daily to keep it moist. I have used tortoise terrain and some regular soil. What age is he considered to be an adult and can actually live in a table like this? Again, everything I've read so far said it was ok. It's 4ft x 2ft so a good size for him I think. I do actually feed him on a piece of slate and then anything he doesn't finish I move to the bowl but I'll get rid of that. The water bowl isn't even 1 inch deep, wouldn't a plant pot dish be about the same? Thanks for your help! I'm worried now

woodygawek

Preston UK
Few of us manage through the winter months without supermarket greens and supplementing with a good quality pellet (soak in water to soften)

Write a list of the greens that you can buy and those that grow around you and look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed. The website is excellent and tells why something is (or isn't suitable) as well as how often you can use it.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

I used Komodo pellets which are widely available. Mazuri is very popular in the USA, but has limited availability in the UK; it can now be bought the Shelled Warriors shop
https://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/

I have been using the tortoise table a lot for what to feed him its just thay aalot of it doesnt seem available. I am trying to grow some plants from seed on my windowsill for him to give him a bit of variety. Is it ok to go foraging for things like clover and dandelions in the woods? Sorry to question you but everything I've read has said that those pellets are awful and shouldn't be given because they aren't healthy

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi @JoesMum thank you for your reply. I feel sad that I'm not doing things right for my tortoise after getting so much advice from lots of online sites and also the pet shop where I bought him. It was them that said I should use a red bulb because he won't be able to see it at night but at least that is easily fixed. My overnight temperature is actually quite good I think, the room stays at about 22 degrees. As for him being in an open table I thought it was fine because of the temperatures in the house and I do spray everything daily to keep it moist. I have used tortoise terrain and some regular soil. What age is he considered to be an adult and can actually live in a table like this?[/quite]
I would say he is likely to need to be in a vivarium for at least a couple of years before moving to a table. It depends on how fast he grows.

As you have dis overed, pet stores rarely know about tortoises. They aren't nocturnal; they don't need to see at night. They do have excellent colour vision and, unfortunately, they lack the intelligence to be sensible about what they choose to eat.

Again, everything I've read so far said it was ok. It's 4ft x 2ft so a good size for him I think. I do actually feed him on a piece of slate and then anything he doesn't finish I move to the bowl but I'll get rid of that. The water bowl isn't even 1 inch deep, wouldn't a plant pot dish be about the same? Thanks for your help! I'm worried now
Plant saucers have gently sloping sides. They are much easier fora rigid shelled creature to climb in and out of.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I think moderation is key. A varied diet is ideal, but when certain nutritional components aren't available (or your tortoise won't eat them), you may need to provide more supplementation, including healthy commercial diet options.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have been using the tortoise table a lot for what to feed him its just thay aalot of it doesnt seem available. I am trying to grow some plants from seed on my windowsill for him to give him a bit of variety. Is it ok to go foraging for things like clover and dandelions in the woods? Sorry to question you but everything I've read has said that those pellets are awful and shouldn't be given because they aren't healthy

Like I said, write a list of what you can buy and what you can pick and look those up. You can't have searched TTT very hard.

Lettuce is low in fibre and nutrients, but romaine and little gem are better than some and can be fed in moderation (avoid iceberg). Pak Choi, Brussels sprouts, watercress, rocket and endive can be fed in moderation. Those are just common things in the supermarket that I have thought of. Look at the mixed salad bag contents - avoid the ones with spinach, red cabbage and carrot in them.

By all means forage in areas that are free of pesticides and herbicides. My next door neighbour thinks I am a lunatic, but happily lets me do his weeding as I harvest dandelions. There's a patch of ground at the end of our road that the council mows twice a year and otherwise ignores that is great for weeds too. (Council spending xuts have some advantages :D)

woodygawek

Preston UK
I think moderation is key. A varied diet is ideal, but when certain nutritional components aren't available (or your tortoise won't eat them), you may need to provide more supplementation, including healthy commercial diet options.

Yes ok thanks. So I need to wet them first?

woodygawek

Preston UK
Like I said, write a list of what you can buy and what you can pick and look those up. You can't have searched TTT very hard.

Lettuce is low in fibre and nutrients, but romaine and little gem are better than some and can be fed in moderation (avoid iceberg). Pak Choi, Brussels sprouts, watercress, rocket and endive can be fed in moderation. Those are just common things in the supermarket that I have thought of. Look at the mixed salad bag contents - avoid the ones with spinach, red cabbage and carrot in them.

By all means forage in areas that are free of pesticides and herbicides. My next door neighbour thinks I am a lunatic, but happily lets me do his weeding as I harvest dandelions. There's a patch of ground at the end of our road that the council mows twice a year and otherwise ignores that is great for weeds too. (Council spending xuts have some advantages :D)

Honestly I've spent ages looking and looking again, I wanted to go for as many green options as possible rather than the orange and most of these seem to be in the weeds/plants section rather than vegetables because surely in moderation doesn't mean I can give these things to him every day but I think I may need to do a master's on flowers/plants to be able to recognise them out and about haha!!
As for the pet shop I'm stunned at some of the advice I was given and also the food I saw in their bowls. It's so sad that they can't do their research to help people buying tortoises for the first time