Hi everyone!

woodygawek

Location (City and/or State)
Preston UK
Serving food wet does help with hydration. Rinsing it under the tap before serving is good practice in any case

And I've been giving him a warm bath every few days, he showed me how much he could empty his bowels and urinated all over my rug when I was drying him last night haha

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Honestly I've spent ages looking and looking again, I wanted to go for as many green options as possible rather than the orange and most of these seem to be in the weeds/plants section rather than vegetables because surely in moderation doesn't mean I can give these things to him every day but I think I may need to do a master's on flowers/plants to be able to recognise them out and about haha!!
As for the pet shop I'm stunned at some of the advice I was given and also the food I saw in their bowls. It's so sad that they can't do their research to help people buying tortoises for the first time

Moderation means don’t feed them all the time. Variety is needed over time. You don’t need variety in a meal or even in a day. If you buy a salad mix, use it up then buy something different next time.

Supplementing with good quality pellets is fine which is why I mentioned brands.

woodygawek

Preston UK
Moderation means don’t feed them all the time. Variety is needed over time. You don’t need variety in a meal or even in a day. If you buy a salad mix, use it up then buy something different next time.

Supplementing with good quality pellets is fine which is why I mentioned brands.

Ok thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jennifer!

(when you see @ in front of a username, that means that person has been sent an alert. So when someone told you to talk to @JoesMum she was alerted to her being needed on the thread)

woodygawek

Preston UK
Couple of other questions, am I supposed to feed him every day? I read a few places advising 5 days out of 7? And if he spends a lot of time in his hide will he still benefit from the uvb light? Because he is completely covered and in darkness in there.
Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Couple of other questions, am I supposed to feed him every day? I read a few places advising 5 days out of 7? And if he spends a lot of time in his hide will he still benefit from the uvb light? Because he is completely covered and in darkness in there.
Thanks
Feed every day. Feed first thing in the morning. Get into a routine of lights on, soak, feed and then leave your tort in peace to browse on the food through the day.

Don't worry about him spending lots of time in his hide. He will hide away a lot at first but as he becomes more confident he will be out and about more.

You need UVB too to be healthy, but like a tort you actually need relatively little. The lamp is on all day like the sun so he benefits from it whenever he is out :) Unlike you a tort won’t get skin cancer from too much, thank goodness!

woodygawek

Preston UK
Feed every day. Feed first thing in the morning. Get into a routine of lights on, soak, feed and then leave your tort in peace to browse on the food through the day.

Don't worry about him spending lots of time in his hide. He will hide away a lot at first but as he becomes more confident he will be out and about more.

You need UVB too to be healthy, but like a tort you actually need relatively little. The lamp is on all day like the sun so he benefits from it whenever he is out :) Unlike you a tort won’t get skin cancer from too much, thank goodness!

Brill .thanks so much!