Hi, glad to find this forum! We have 2 sulcatas

TweedleDeeDum

Ok- got it, thank you so much for your help. I do all those things, just not as often as I should I guess- Good to know. They do love to graze- whenever I'm home before dark take them out to graze- it's hard to keep my eyes on them both!

Hi, glad to find this forum! We have 2 Sulcatas, Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum. They are about 3 1/2 yrs old. I'm figuring things out on my own, & have had them for about 15 months. This is a pic of their yard, I move the bricks every few weeks to give them fresh grass. I also give them kale nearly every day, just don't know how much they should be eating. Also, their shells seem to be dry- what do I do about it, if anything? I have so many questions! Thank you!!

View attachment 199744 View attachment 199745
I wish I had your yard and set up. That's great. Welcome. Welcome.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi, glad to find this forum! We have 2 Sulcatas, Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum. They are about 3 1/2 yrs old. I'm figuring things out on my own, & have had them for about 15 months. This is a pic of their yard, I move the bricks every few weeks to give them fresh grass. I also give them kale nearly every day, just don't know how much they should be eating. Also, their shells seem to be dry- what do I do about it, if anything? I have so many questions! Thank you!!

View attachment 199744 View attachment 199745
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Love your torts' names. :<3:

Your torts are pyramided. :( Please give them daily soaks in warm water so as to stop the pyramiding where it is. ;)

They're so lucky to have all that space. :D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
They do love to graze- whenever I'm home before dark take them out to graze- it's hard to keep my eyes on them both!
Graze/walking is great for them and they are hard wired to do so while searching out foods to eat in their natural environment. I own 5 acres of pasture here in Oregon. And like you, I've built a large outdoor pen. And ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487476210.297896.jpg both of ours are very similar. As for keeping an eye on them outside of their pen, I came up with this idea. I just kickback on my patio while the tortoise grazes and strolls. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487476653.417554.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487476747.231733.jpg
One other water pan I use in the outdoor pen, is a thick rubber type horse feed pan. These are very heavy duty and standup to those brittling affects of the sun. I do often keep a layer of 3"-4" crushed gravel in the bottom just for whatever. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487477464.121609.jpgas you can see from the serious pyramiding present on this male, you can see he is a rescue here at the ranch.

Graze/walking is great for them and they are hard wired to do so while searching out foods to eat in their natural environment. I own 5 acres of pasture here in Oregon. And like you, I've built a large outdoor pen. And View attachment 200177 both of ours are very similar. As for keeping an eye on them outside of their pen, I came up with this idea. I just kickback on my patio while the tortoise grazes and strolls. View attachment 200178View attachment 200179
One other water pan I use in the outdoor pen, is a thick rubber type horse feed pan. These are very heavy duty and standup to those brittling affects of the sun. I do often keep a layer of 3"-4" crushed gravel in the bottom just for whatever. View attachment 200181as you can see from the serious pyramiding present on this male, you can see he is a rescue here at the ranch.
The balloons are an awesome idea! I need a bigger yard

TweedleDeeDum

Ours were given to us by a family whose kids were bored with tortoises:( They had never grazed or ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487602693.428254.jpgbeen in water, and were kept in a 4x8 pin on the porch. They are the same age, but Dee is 1/2 the size of Dum. We've finished the new pond, but now have thunderstorms and have to wait for it to dry out to fill it & let them have access to it. They love grazing, but Dee mainly searches for dog poo to eat- it's very frustrating to say the least!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487604249.189641.jpg

Ours were given to us by a family whose kids were bored with tortoises:( They had never grazed or View attachment 200280been in water, and were kept in a 4x8 pin on the porch. They are the same age, but Dee is 1/2 the size of Dum. We've finished the new pond, but now have thunderstorms and have to wait for it to dry out to fill it & let them have access to it. They love grazing, but Dee mainly searches for dog poo to eat- it's very frustrating to say the least!View attachment 200286
I have to keep my dogs in the front yard and my tortoise in the backyard. If I just let them eat each other's poo, I would never be on poo doodie duty. Hahahahaha

TweedleDeeDum

Mine do the same, I'm still not sure about the ideal temp for them in their house- it seems like it's too warm inside- and they are very warm to the touch- also, what about humidity? Is it a concern for them at their age and where we live? They are free to roam in and out as they please, should I trust their instincts?