Hi guys what substrate is best for a medditeranean spur thighed

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamy0712

5 Year Member
I'm using beech chippings at the moment have used loam with sand mixed but what a mess in the water . I like the look of orchid bark but not sure it is the right substrate . Any suggestions please.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
How old (big) is your Greek tortoise? Babies of most species, Testudo included can be grown smoother when more moisture is included in their environment during their developing years. I use a soil based organic substrate to achieve this. After much experimentation I have found that a substrate of very young tortoises consisting of about 60% organic potting or top soil, 30% coconut coir and the rest ground leaf litter and sphagnum moss all at about 2" deep works very well. It retains moisture well without being extremely wet, is solid enough to provide good footing but still loose enough to be able to be dug into which baby Testudo do often. I spray it twice daily and saturate and churn it well once a week.

For adult Testudo I use cypress bark mulch about 3-4" deep, spray it lightly twice daily also or as needed and churn it and spray it a bit more heavily once weekly also.

I stay away from sand for any age tortoise. It tends to stick to everything that contains the slightest moisture such as a tortoise's eyes, mouth and food. It dries too rapidly and becomes dusty and serves no real purpose in terms of footing or moisture retention. It's only real value in an indoor enclosure is that it absorbs and distributes heat well. But so do large flat rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.