Orchid Bark for Greek Spur-Thighed - Moisture Levels?

Mortimus

5 Year Member
Like many people, I'm getting confused over the ideal substrate and all of the differing advice out there. I thought I'd settled on fine-grade orchid bark, but then I've read that they're great for species who need high levels of moisture. I have a Greek spur-thighed tortoise, and have also read that they need a very dry substrate. Any advice?! It's a minefield out there!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Most adult tortoises will benefit from at least a moderate amount of humidity, yours included. You definitely do not want a completely bone dry substrate. It's best for them to have the option to create their own humid microclimate when they burrow or bury themselves. Orchid bark stays relatively dry to the touch in my experience, but absorbs water you soak it in and releases it slowly, creating humidity. If you don't water the mulch or otherwise keep it dry, it will stay dry, but generally the top layer stays dry anyway if it's not in a humid closed chamber.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Like many people, I'm getting confused over the ideal substrate and all of the differing advice out there. I thought I'd settled on fine-grade orchid bark, but then I've read that they're great for species who need high levels of moisture. I have a Greek spur-thighed tortoise, and have also read that they need a very dry substrate. Any advice?! It's a minefield out there!
There is no tortoise that benefits from dry conditions. Adults of some species are built to "survive" in dry conditions, but that doesn't make it good for them.

Keep your orchid bark damp, and stay off of FB and YT for tortoise advice.

Your not new, but this may explain some of that conflicting info:

Mortimus

5 Year Member
There is no tortoise that benefits from dry conditions. Adults of some species are built to "survive" in dry conditions, but that doesn't make it good for them.

Keep your orchid bark damp, and stay off of FB and YT for tortoise advice.

Your not new, but this may explain some of that conflicting info:
Thanks. I had read all of that info you posted, hence where I got the idea about orchid bark in the first place. It was when I started looking to purchase it that I ran into conflicting advice from other so-called-experts, which is why I wanted to double-check. There is so much info out there that differs, all coming from people claiming to know best; it's tricky to know which way to turn! I've never gone to FB or YT for advice though.

Thanks again; Mort has a brand new custom-built house arriving tomorrow and will be moving in to her new abode on a bed of orchid bark. :)