Hi guys!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thank you!! I did have a feeling just wanted to be perfectly 100% sure.

Thank you very much, i have tried to use it but can't tell at the moment, i've saved the picture anyway and going to try again in a month or so, see if there's any likeness. She does tuck her tail in quite a lot much like the "mature male" picture, but i know she's not mature at all. Do you have any idea why that is? A trait perhaps, or something irritating her?
They like our children will mature when they are ready and not one min . Sooner . But it will happen and you'll be happy and still love it ! :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Russian, for sure.
Have you read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
plus http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
and http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm.
All very informative.
Fruit a bit acidic for this species and it is not a great idea to let the tortoise run free on the floor. eating small objects can cause great harm and even dust bunnies can cause impaction. Also the temperature is very hard to control at house floor level and drafts are difficult to exclude completely. Accidents can also happen, one poor tort got its head slammed in the door last year. :(
Welcome to the forum .:)

BabyBlud

UK
Hi thank you for all the links, i had read all but one of them so i'll take a look at the last one tonight. And yes we do understand about the eating of small objects, we never leave her on her own unless she's in her den. I didn't realise dust could cause constipation but as i said we watch her constantly so she doesn't get a chance to eat any. :)

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
No size reference, but looks older than 12 weeks to me. But I am no Russian expert.

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
Hello everyone, my name is babyblud but people in other forums call me BB. We recently acquired our very first tortoise (extreme tort novice right here) 6 weeks ago and have actually used your forum for many different things without actually signing up XD We bought her for my sons 7th birthday present and absolutely adore her, her name is Raphael and we have aged her around 12 weeks (so far) we are a bit sketchy on sex and age as you can tell, and also breed unfortunately. We were told in the pet shop she was a horsefield and a male, but a man up the road has a Mediterranean and we invited him to see our set up as he has had his for 8 years, he has sexed her as female but no idea on age and he also says she is a hermes. Oh well, we love her all the same. We bought her as a set with a vivarium and three days later and reading your threads many times realized our potentially dangerous mistake and moved her into a converted bookshelf. She's a lot happier and is eating a lot better!
We live in the UK, midlands to be precise, she's inside for now as we have a lot of cats and dogs roaming free in our neighbourhood and no way of protecting her while we are out. Both of us work, me during the day, my partner at night and my son goes to school (obviously). As we don't actually have a garden ( i know big mistake for a burrowing tort) we take her to the park 3 times a week (dependant on weather) and allow her to walk around the back yard or around the house each day. She's a little devil trying to get under the settee i can tell you >.>! We bathe her every 2-3 days and her excretions as far as we can tell are normal. She also loves being spoken to, stretches out her neck as if to listen. Also, they are a lot faster then i thought they were 0.0 my god can she run! Heart attack central right there, especially when the front door is open lol! Any help and advice would be appreciated. We feed her a mixure of salad, dandelion and flower pellets in the morning and a fresh veg and salad mix in the evening (depending on what we're having for dinner) and every three days skip the pellets and give her salad and veg and a bit of fruit and flower mix throughout the day (my grandmother is the best at giving edible flowers and weed at the minute!) Raph goes crazy for dandelions though. Pictures and such will be shown in appropriate threads as soon as i get them off my phone :0
But anyway it's nice to actually write something rather than read haha XD
Welcome!

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
Hey guys, sorry for the slight delay been busy with work and family life, also had some lovely weather just at the moment so been to the park for hours on end, finally got loads more photos of Raph and managed to get them on to my computer (found out my USB cable is kind of screwy) anyway hopefully this one is big enough to let you identify her :) I'm feeling that she is a horsefield (russian) but just wanted to be absolutely sure!
Anyway, thanks again for the welcome :)View attachment 179354
SOOO CUTE!!!