Hi I'm Bob the Elongata in Shanghai

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizg

5 Year Member
Hello

I'm new to the Forum and here is my tortoise Bob the Elongata. He was inherited from a friend who moved back from Shanghai to the US, she bought him at a wet market (she probably saved him from certain turtle soup!).

DSC04818.jpg

We've had him for a year and a half, and love him. Our 25th floor flat is not the best environment, but he hates to be enclosed in anyway (climbs the walls and turns himself over) so any kind of tortoise-table is a no-no Probably was caught in the wild. So it's impossible to keep him in the humid environment he should be in and so his skin is too dry (often bathe him instead).
He loves to climb and will try to climb anything, especially the skirting boards. Also tries to seek out the darkest environment possible.

He's just this week woken up from looooonng hibernation and has just face-planted in a plate full of greens and tomatoes :)
Funny creature...

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi to everyone, and happy spring!

Liz

Last edited by a moderator:

Dagashi

5 Year Member
awwwww.. he's adorable!! Just wondering.. Does he un turn himself over easily??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Liz:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Pretty nice-looking tortoise. Where abouts in the U.S. are you?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I really like how light-colored he looks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh wait...you're in Shanghai?

lizg

5 Year Member
Thanks guys

@Dagashi - I've only found him turned over twice, once when i tried to put him in a tortoise house which was nice and warm with wetted wood chippings, so i thought he'd like it.. he hated it!
and another time the other day when he'd tried to climb a stack of books. I'm pretty sure he can't right himself, although i'm not sure, never saw that. I read they can die if left like that, so i let him roam the flat freely now.

At the moment he's super dehydrated, his skin is cracking a bit, i can put him in a room with a humidifier for a bit, but he hates to be enclosed so i fear he will flip himself again. Any suggestions?

Actually i want to take him back to UK when we leave Shanghai in October, I can build him a proper warm room with a grassy floor there. Anyone got an idea about importing to UK? .. got some time yet to think about that though..

Thanks for the welcome :)

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Aww, Bob's good looking. I'm glad it was saved from the market.. but sad to think that other elongated are still there :(

Status
Not open for further replies.