Hi, I'm Jill

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Oh and to the spinach part.... we use to say it was "bad" because we thought it was to high in oxalates and would lead to MBD (metabolic bone disease). Which it is high in oxalates, but AS A PART of a balanced diet it is good and has some real advantages in what it can offer. So go ahead and feed some, just don't let it be a major part of the diet.

jill

5 Year Member
Where are you? If it is CDT, you also need to register them, they can not go back to wild. Yvonne should know and may help you to fine a good home for them. You can upload some photo of them?

jill

5 Year Member
Hi and welcome! I am thinking a couple of threads have been joined into one, making this thread a bit scrambled. You have a couple of 8 yr old CDT, which have lived outside for 4 yrs. Your wanting to enlarge their diet and grow them some plants. Correct so far?
Yes, exactly. They need more natural food. They don't like most food that grows because they aren't use too it, but it is getting expensive to feed them as they eat so much more now. They seem healthy but because they have been in captivity they don't have wild instincts. For example, they don't dig, they sleep in a dogloo with straw. They have hibiscus flowers and a little grass in their enclosure but they don't like it much.

jill

5 Year Member
Oh and to the spinach part.... we use to say it was "bad" because we thought it was to high in oxalates and would lead to MBD (metabolic bone disease). Which it is high in oxalates, but AS A PART of a balanced diet it is good and has some real advantages in what it can offer. So go ahead and feed some, just don't let it be a major part of the diet.
Its not a major part of their diet I mix it with kale and lettuce and a little shredded carrot. I don't lnow what most of the plants on the list are. I need a simple formula.

jill

5 Year Member
I know they can not go back to the wild. They have never lived in the wild. They were given to me 8 years ago. I was told that people usually wait until CDT are about 4 or 5to make sure they survive.