Hi, Im new here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amandaahb

5 Year Member
Firstly let me introduce myself, my name is Amanda and I live in Bedfordshire. I have joined this forum as my 8 year old daughter has been looking into becoming a tortoise owner! This is not a fad, she has been looking into having a tortoise for the last 12 months and is very keen. I personally do not have a clue what, when, where etc when it comes to tortoises!
I have been googling to find out as much as I can in preparation for a new member to the family.

Look forward to learning more through this site

Take care
Amanda

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Amanda:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I'm sure you'll find everything you need to know, here on the forum. Plus, we have many UK members who have the same problems that might show up for you.

Do you have any idea what kind of tortoise you want?

Amandaahb

5 Year Member
Hi all thanks for ur welcoming messages. I think I am going to choose a herman tortoise. I have been to a few pet shops today to investigate and am getting such confusing info. One said can't have more than one tortoise as they will kill each other one said two together are fine? Then I was told they need to have certificate and micro chipped another said the opposite! Same thing with hibernation one shop said yes one said no???? Where on earth do I start if tortoise retailers can't even decide!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Amanda:

About the certificate and chip, yes, that is correct in the UK. About keeping more than one in the same habitat...well, you can have more than one but it should be the same species. And in the Mediterranean type tortoises, they really are better off alone unless they are outside in a large habitat. They don't get lonely and don't need another tortoise for companionship. You may see bad aggression and fighting if you have more than one in the house. So if you get two, you need to be prepared to set them up separately if they don't get along.

Amandaahb

5 Year Member
Thanks for your reply so I'm going with the shop that only sells them with certificate and micro chipped then! As my daughter wants a herman only one advised? What breed is best for beginner? Are there any particular breed that do live well together? Sorry I have so many questions!!!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Welcome to the BEST forum on Earth! I would just get 1 for now. Then you can read and learn from your own experiences with the first 1 you get. Then if another, down the road, seems like it would be no issue, then get the 2nd tort. Best of luck to you!

Amandaahb

5 Year Member
Ok do a real touchy subject, vivarium or table? Both shops have said viv as u can keep a good temp all the time and no need for hibernation plus both shops torts are displayed in viv's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.