Hi ... i'm new here :)

reah bacordo

I am Reah and I am in love with reptiles in general. I have 4 adult sulcata under my care. Just want to ask for those who have kept sulcata, is it alright to plant bamboos inside their enclosure? i have read that bamboos are high in cyanide content and nay be harmful to the sulcata but is ok with the radiata... is this true? any experience? coz i have read in one site too that bamboos are one of the healthier choices so that got me totally confused.

I will appreciate any advice :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Reah welcome to the TFO from AZ . USA . You didn't say we're you are from but bamboos are very invasive they grow and grow and when you dig them out they grow more so I wouldn't plant them Evan if they were grate for my baby's ( torts )

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Reah, and welcome to the Forum!

Bamboo is a member of the grass family and is edible. If you can live with it spreading and taking over your yard, it is fine for the tortoise pen.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

reah bacordo

Hello Reah welcome to the TFO from AZ . USA . You didn't say we're you are from but bamboos are very invasive they grow and grow and when you dig them out they grow more so I wouldn't plant them Evan if they were grate for my baby's ( torts )

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Thanks for the info... i am from the Philippines. The bamboo species that i intend to plant are the smaller variety, its a pole bamboo that is originally from thailand, its more a fence material and neat too looked at. But i am hesitant as i am not sure as to its good for my sulcata... he is a big boy and he has a big appetite.

reah bacordo

The tortoise table web site says no for the "lucky bamboo" can be toxic to cold blooded animals.

http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=354

But says yes for " true bamboo" so just depends on which you get, I would be verrrrrry careful

http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp?mode=main&catID=356

thanks that was really helpful links ... the type that i plan to plant is a punting pole bamboo.... but need to research about it more. thanks :)

reah bacordo

Hi Reah, and welcome to the Forum!

Bamboo is a member of the grass family and is edible. If you can live with it spreading and taking over your yard, it is fine for the tortoise pen.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Thanks... need all the info i can get :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here.

Vien Pelayo

hi Everyone - I'm from the Philippines and is an avid fan or tortoises.. i was hoping if someone can help me get a Sulcata or 2 to avoid lonelyness. ;)