Hi - new here and would like recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annette

5 Year Member
Hello, I am new to the forum because my kids bought a baby sulcata yesterday. It is so cute ... now ... but I am worried about it getting huge and not having room for it in our small home. We are in Utah so Winters are dry and cold and summers are hot but also very dry. Maybe this breed was not the right one for us. Can anyone recommed a smaller one? Do they all need heat and humidity? Is a heat lamp enough? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Annette:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I split off your post because its always a good idea to start your own thread when asking a question not pertaining to the original poster's question or thread. Jacqui had answered you on the other thread, and my mod skills aren't good enough to have split her reply too, so its copy/pasted here:

Jacqui wrote:
The dry is more of an issue when they are young, which in a way makes it easier. As a rule, you keep hatchlings indoors and so you can easily make humidity. Using a good substrate that holds humidity like sand/coir, dirt, bio soil, and even cypress mulch helps. Creating a humid hide is a big help, too.
If your thinking something smaller, then think Russian, Greek, or Hermanns.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Annette said:
Hello, I am new to the forum because my kids bought a baby sulcata yesterday. It is so cute ... now ... but I am worried about it getting huge and not having room for it in our small home. We are in Utah so Winters are dry and cold and summers are hot but also very dry. Maybe this breed was not the right one for us. Can anyone recommed a smaller one? Do they all need heat and humidity? Is a heat lamp enough? Thanks!

Well we all love our sulcatas here so you've come to the right place to figure it out!
Like jacqui said it is possible to very successfully raise a sully where you are but there are many great, smaller, breeds if you are worried about space.
I have a little guy that I want to get siblings for and the plans I have fo their future enclosure are close to 1/2 an acre for when they are full grown. You won't need that much for one adult but space will become a concern in the next few years.

We're here to help no matter what you decide!

Oh and sorry, you actual questions ;)
Jacqui answered smaller breeds, they all need heat and varying degrees of humidity depending on what you want, if your house is warm a heat lamp is enough during the day heat wise. If the temperature drops considerably during the night I would reccomend a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) they screw in like a light bulb but only generate heat and have no filament so they basically last forever. UV is important but if you can get them into the sun ( I believe Tom recommends 20 minutes twice a week min.) an artificial UV light isn't needed.

There think that's all you asked!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Annette and welcome to the forum...

Yes they do get big but you have time before they are too big to live inside. If you know that you will not be able to house your Sulcata when it 50+ pounds then you may want to consider rehoming it and going with a smaller tortoise that you can keep inside comfortably..

Status
Not open for further replies.