New tortoise won't eat

AbramTankLover

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hello everyone! New member and new to tortoises, I received my first torty yesterday he's sleeping ALOT ((but I read here that's normal)) and he hasn't eaten yet. I'm slightly worried. He's got a heat lamp, as well as a UV. I keep his tank as humid as I can. Is he just not eating because he's in a new place? I keep collard greens, kale, and moist tortoise food in with him and soak him in hot water at least 10 minutes a day. He's a 6 month old Ivory Sulcata named Abram ((pictured being adorable in the tub soaking))

20180206_103916.jpg

AbramTankLover

Illinois
Also , can't keep fresh grass in with him because it's winter in Illinois there's no grass anywhere. What can I do to keep him healthy til the grass grows?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome! You really need to read the stickies shown at the top of our Sulcata section. Lots of good, current information in there for you and your new little tortoise.

AbramTankLover

Illinois
Hi, and welcome! You really need to read the stickies shown at the top of our Sulcata section. Lots of good, current information in there for you and your new little tortoise.
I seem to be having trouble finding the answer to my eating question ,but thank you for the suggestion! Lots of information there :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
You might want to read a bit of the reviews on tortoise town; they don’t have the best reputation.
Welcome to the forum! You seem to be dong pretty great so far :)

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hey it may take him a few days to start eating, changing his environment will usually cause tortoise to not be so active for a few days. Give him some time, as long as his heat is correct and you’re giving him daily soaks, he’ll perk up soon

AbramTankLover

Illinois
Hey it may take him a few days to start eating, changing his environment will usually cause tortoise to not be so active for a few days. Give him some time, as long as his heat is correct and you’re giving him daily soaks, he’ll perk up soon
Oh thank goodness! I hope he starts eating soon. I'm worried about the little guy

AbramTankLover

Illinois
Alright here's a little update: I think my thermometer maybe alittle screwy, I put him in my bathtub and am running a heater in there as well and he's moving around like crazy. Still not eating but definitely more active. Going to get a stronger heat lamp and new thermometer. Hopefully he eats soon

Bambam1989

East Texas
He is probably still adjusting.
Give him his daily soaks and leave him alone otherwise.
As a precaution I would contact Tortoise Town and ask them what they were feeding. If they fed a limited variety then your tort may not recognize anything else.
Check the weight weekly. After a couple of weeks you should notice some weight gain.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Alright here's a little update: I think my thermometer maybe alittle screwy, I put him in my bathtub and am running a heater in there as well and he's moving around like crazy. Still not eating but definitely more active. Going to get a stronger heat lamp and new thermometer. Hopefully he eats soon

What are your heat sources and lighting??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
His enclosure has a heating lamp and a separate uv lamp. I am also running a space heater in my room. Currently my room temp is 81°
What kind of UV lamp? Tube/strip type, or cfl?

What size enclosure?

They should not be soaked in hot water. Warm. 85-95. Hot water can kill them.

You can buy little grass plots at the pet store or some supermarkets. Its sprouted wheat grass. Keep it watered and in the window sill and each plot will last for 8 or 9 cuttings. Favor endive and escarole as your main foods in winter, but use lots of variety. Cilantro, arugula, collard, mustard and turnip greens, carrot and celery tops, etc... Then try to use mostly grass, weeds and leaves of the right type in spring and summer.

That is not an ivory sulcata. I hope you didn't pay more than the normal price for it.

Read these:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

AbramTankLover

Illinois
What kind of UV lamp? Tube/strip type, or cfl?

What size enclosure?

They should not be soaked in hot water. Warm. 85-95. Hot water can kill them.

You can buy little grass plots at the pet store or some supermarkets. Its sprouted wheat grass. Keep it watered and in the window sill and each plot will last for 8 or 9 cuttings. Favor endive and escarole as your main foods in winter, but use lots of variety. Cilantro, arugula, collard, mustard and turnip greens, carrot and celery tops, etc... Then try to use mostly grass, weeds and leaves of the right type in spring and summer.

That is not an ivory sulcata. I hope you didn't pay more than the normal price for it.

Read these:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
Maybe I shouuld clarify , he carries a high % HET((or at least he's supposed to)), any water over 80 is "hot" to me. He has a dessert uv bulb and lives in a 20 gallon tank ((for now))

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Maybe I shouuld clarify , he carries a high % HET((or at least he's supposed to)), any water over 80 is "hot" to me. He has a dessert uv bulb and lives in a 20 gallon tank ((for now))

What type of desert UV bulb? Long tube type or coil type cfl?

A 20 is too small. You can't offer good thermal gradients in something that size. I'd get something bigger ASAP. Closed chambers work best.