Hi - New Tort Mom needs help with Cleaning "poop" off Hermann's Tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmomom

5 Year Member
My new Hermann (6 months old) is doing very well. I am a new tort mom, but aged turtle mom. He seems to have "build up" on his tail. I have tried to clean during soaking with q-tip, wet toilet paper - but am afraid to pull too hard and hurt him or his tail. It is still stuck! Any advise??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
How long do you keep him in his soaking dish? Any stuck on feces will come off eventually if you soak it long enough. You might also dry him real well after a soak, then paint on some mineral oil. This will soften the feces and allow you to pick it off.

Yvonne

cosmomom

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
How long do you keep him in his soaking dish? Any stuck on feces will come off eventually if you soak it long enough. You might also dry him real well after a soak, then paint on some mineral oil. This will soften the feces and allow you to pick it off.

Yvonne

thanks for the reply. I keep him about 15 mins - then the water gets cold. Maybe I need to do a few soaks with new water until it comes off as you recommend? Will also try the mineral oil.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Are you sure it's build up? I would think after the soaking and a light scrub anything there would come off. Want to take a picture? lol Some people do change out the water in the middle of a soak. Yes, they do have delicate skin so you need to be careful.

cosmomom

5 Year Member
I am happy to report that Cosmo's little "attachment" at his tail is gone. I soaked him for about 1/2 hour (changed water to keep warm) and then applied some mineral oil which made it easier to remove. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ah-h-h! A clean tortoise once again! Good job.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.