Hi new tortoise and first time keeper.

Debbie26pet

Location (City and/or State)
BLACKBURN
Hi we got a new addition to the family. I've done reading upon reading and find some advice differs.
We got little (16mths) (owners previously said he thinks he's a hermanns). Jeffery yesterday. He was quiet but today having a good rummage around his Viv. But I'm feeling have a set it up? He isn't liking the new hideaway but us loving climbing. (His previous home was kept minimal and no climbing.) He loves going Upto the top and down the bumpy bit seems to slide down, he will then go and climb back up. As in pic he keeps.sitting in this area his head lamp above. But at times gets in corner and is scratching (sounds like someone grinding teeth) and seems to be trying walk through the Viv corner. Any ideas why.
He's eating very well. And isn't hiding from us. Do we need change anything. Or missing something.

20200626_191951.jpg20200626_191040.jpg20200626_191947.jpg20200626_191951.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's a Russian Tortoise "Testudo Horsfieldii". Tortoises don't like change much. Give him/her some time to settle in.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
While he does need time to settle in, your enclosure looks to be too small. An adult russian needs @ 4'x8' for a indoor enclosure. While I think most of us would struggle to accomplish that, I don't think he will ultimately be happy in the one you are currently providing.

*Based solely on the pictures provided, it could just be the angle*

Debbie26pet

BLACKBURN
We had thought might be on small side. It's a 3ft one. He did come with this, but they had a plastic box that was 3/4 placed in the viv. We have taken him out of it. so is on our cards to get a new one for him. So will see looks asap for a bigger one. We've even thought about a table for him?

Debbie26pet

BLACKBURN
While he does need time to settle in, your enclosure looks to be too small. An adult russian needs @ 4'x8' for a indoor enclosure. While I think most of us would struggle to accomplish that, I don't think he will ultimately be happy in the one you are currently providing.

*Based solely on the pictures provided, it could just be the angle*
Ohh yes a adult russian???? We was sold him as a hermànns??

Debbie26pet

BLACKBURN
That's a Russian Tortoise "Testudo Horsfieldii". Tortoises don't like change much. Give him/her some time to settle in.
Was sold to us a a hermanns. So def needs bigger tank. He does run round this tank lol
Was told 16mths old. Does this look right. Or older?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ohh yes a adult russian???? We was sold him as a hermànns??
Hello and welcome.

We can't tell the age from looking at a picture.

It will be easier to maintain the correct conditions in a large closed chamber, unless the room temperature and humidity are exactly what is needed. Here is the care info for your new tortoise: