Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

delpiero

5 Year Member
Hi,
I'm Ivan, owner of a Hermann and now thinking of getting a second one. Hope to learn more about tortoise here from you guys.

2011-01-13001021.jpg

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Welcome!

Pellets are generally not recommended as a substrate because they can get moldy fast and they are too dry and dusty. I think that applies to Hermann's also. A substrate that can hold some moisture to provide a bit of humidity is suggested such as coconut coir, soil, cypress and orchid bark among others.

You can find help here, it's usually asked that you tell us more about your setup and how you have been keeping your tortoise. Temps, lights, diet, access to water, hides, etc.

delpiero

5 Year Member
pdrobber said:
Welcome!

Pellets are generally not recommended as a substrate because they can get moldy fast and they are too dry and dusty. I think that applies to Hermann's also. A substrate that can hold some moisture to provide a bit of humidity is suggested such as coconut coir, soil, cypress and orchid bark among others.

You can find help here, it's usually asked that you tell us more about your setup and how you have been keeping your tortoise. Temps, lights, diet, access to water, hides, etc.

Thanks Peter! I will do a little bit more research and try see what substrate I should change to.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I love the hermanns torts. That looks like an Eastern, right? (I don't know them that well yet)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum, your tortoise is a real cutie :D I am sure you will love this forum as much as we all do! I agree for the pellets, you should change the substrate AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I have 2 Hermanns and the substrate I use is Aspen, some people prefer humid substrate like coconut coir mixed with organic soil. You have more than one options :).

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
hi Ivan welcome.. ur tortie is super cute what's his name :D

delpiero

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. I love the hermanns torts. That looks like an Eastern, right? (I don't know them that well yet)

Thanks Tom! Yes, he/she is an Eastern.

tobibaby said:
hi Ivan welcome.. ur tortie is super cute what's his name :D

As for the name, I'm still trying to find out the gender, so no name given yet. :)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hi Ivan welcome to the forum :) like Peter said tell us about your setup so you can get it set up right before you get second one:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ivan:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know where you are?

delpiero

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne,

I live in Hong Kong.
My setup:
Basking spot light & 10.0 UVB compact lamp @ the warm end
Also have another T8 UVB tube over the top.
Water is always available.

Ivan

Status
Not open for further replies.