Hibernating a box turtle

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
my leaf pile is about 2 feet deep , after they're down in it for good , i'll throw some branches on it , and then cover them with more leaves , it traps a lot of air ...... i too throw a tarp on it when we're not getting out of single digits for extended periods of time , the sun on the black tarp warms it up pretty good ..........

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I can probably stack about a foot of leaf litter in there on top of the dirt, Think that's what I will do. Thanks for the info Mark.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I'm trying something different this year. The past 5 years in the new house, I've always brought them in the garage in tubs of dirt, they would dig down in around late Oct. early Nov. and come back up in March when the garage temps started to go back up. This year I'm going to put them in this house in their enclosure. It has at least 14-18 inches of dirt and then I will cover it with about 2 inches of leaf litter. It faces south for Sun and I didn't completely seal it up so that a little amount of moisture can get to the soil. It has some protection from the cold north winds we get during the winter, usually We get a few snow storms and a few ice storms during the winter, so I can also put a tarp over if and when that happens.

With the way this year has gone......I think your gonna need a BIGGER BOX, lol! Looks great Craig!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I have a select few that will still get the garage treatment;) and thank you!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I can probably stack about a foot of leaf litter in there on top of the dirt, Think that's what I will do. Thanks for the info Mark.
no problem Craig .... i think your winters are on average milder and shorter than we get up here ?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I would say a lot milder, Our Colder months hit Dec.-Feb. We avg 30-40's in those months.

AJK Aquaria

Hey all...

Reviving this thread. It's helped me for sure, and no doubt others. I'm approaching the time for hibernation. My first attempt. I've decided on artificial in a fridge. I have the luxury of knowing my animals come from Mississippi. Winter temps there are considerably warmer than N. Illinois. It does drop to the high teens in that area, but that is rare. This is why I've chosen the fridge route.

This October has been all over the place in temps. Just last week we had 80+ degree days. Everyone was out in the sun. Earlier this week it was high 70s. Today mid 50s. Nights are getting cold and occasionally dipping into the high 30s. Waiting for consistent mid 40 days to pull the trigger. Forecast shows temps reaching low to high 60s for the next 10, with some 50s mixed in. Cool nights.

This fridge will be dedicated to the turtles. A few questions...

Setpoint- Mid 40s? Low 40s?

Airflow- I've heard of people placing a pencil in the door to allow air exchange. The fridge will be in a garage. Any suggestions?

Checking in- How often should I do this? I have a digital scale to monitor weight loss. Should I soak at this time?

Problems- What would indicate a reason to cease hibernating an animal? I'd assume they'll be pretty sleepy when I dig them out. I dug out a couple today and it took them awhile to even move around and open their eyes.

Prep- I fed some berries 3 days ago. It was warmer out and they fed. Their appetite has waned. I have not offered any worms, meats or rodents in a couple weeks. When should I cease feeding altogether? I'm guessing very soon...

I may think of some other things, but that's it for now. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Adam

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Setpoint- low 40s
Airflow- open the fridge every couple days
Checking in- I just leave them alone. Every couple weeks I peak to see if anyone has surfaced or I might dig up the soil to check on them. It's generally not a good idea to disturb them too much unless something is definitely wrong.
Prep- when they dig down and stay down, and when the outdoor temps are about equal with the fridge, then I transfer them. They will stop eating when it's time, so you can continue to offer some food. Their bodies know when it's time. It wouldn't hurt to soak them for hydration purposes.