Hibernating a Desert Tortoise

Juniper619

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hi Everyone,
My desert tortoise is about a year old and he’s starting slow down and sleeping longer. Some days he does not come out of his burrow. When he does emerge, he will eat.
When should I stop feeding him? I’ve been doing a lot of research on hibernating a Desert Tort. One article mentioned I should stop feeding and just make sure he gets enough water. Its close to hibernation time but the temperature here is still the low 90’s and high 80’s.
Any advice will help. I just want make sure his stomach is clear before he is completely in hibernation mode. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Everyone,
My desert tortoise is about a year old and he’s starting slow down and sleeping longer. Some days he does not come out of his burrow. When he does emerge, he will eat.
When should I stop feeding him? I’ve been doing a lot of research on hibernating a Desert Tort. One article mentioned I should stop feeding and just make sure he gets enough water. Its close to hibernation time but the temperature here is still the low 90’s and high 80’s.
Any advice will help. I just want make sure his stomach is clear before he is completely in hibernation mode. Thank you.
Scroll down to post #19 for a full explanation:

Juniper619

Las Vegas, NV
Scroll down to post #19 for a full explanation:
Thanks Tom! ?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Tom posted the correct, proper way to do it. Follow his method if at all possible.

I don't have his facilities, but successfully brumated my DT twice.

This is how I did it.

Juniper619

Las Vegas, NV
Tom posted the correct, proper way to do it. Follow his method if at all possible.

I don't have his facilities, but successfully brumated my DT twice.

This is how I did it.

Thank you Karen. You and Tom have been extremely helpful. I was thinking about keeping him up during his first winter but I I’m going to try to get him into hibernation. His temp has gradually gone down and he seems to be settling into a longer sleeping pattern. So I’ll see what happens when outside temps start dipping in the 50’s at night and 60’s / 70’s during the day.
I don’t think I mention my torts name before, I call him “The Dude”.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you Karen. You and Tom have been extremely helpful. I was thinking about keeping him up during his first winter but I I’m going to try to get him into hibernation. His temp has gradually gone down and he seems to be settling into a longer sleeping pattern. So I’ll see what happens when outside temps start dipping in the 50’s at night and 60’s / 70’s during the day.
I don’t think I mention my torts name before, I call him “The Dude”.

Where are you planning to put him? Fridge, garage, shed? Wherever it is, have it all ready to go. If you go out and get him on a cold night, you don't want to wake him much. Do it quickly so he stays as asleep as possible.

Juniper619

Las Vegas, NV
Where are you planning to put him? Fridge, garage, shed? Wherever it is, have it all ready to go. If you go out and get him on a cold night, you don't want to wake him much. Do it quickly so he stays as asleep as possible.
Hi ... Since I don’t have an extra fridge I was planning on keeping him in one of our rooms. I’m going to close the vent so it will stay cool in there.
The temp hasn’t dropped below 85 during the day and the lows are at 65 - 70. We are suppose to get cold front at the beginning of next so I’m going to ween him off food slowly this week. I hope everything goes well.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just don't forget he needs at least 2 weeks after his last meal to empty his digestive tract. That's extremely important.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Last year my tortoise was kept awake with food, water and light throughout winter. I am brumating this year and have mapped out a timetable of activities to do according to the literature. Depending on size and age you need to allow 2.5 weeks of no food (starting today) and also reduce heat and light on a weekly basis. I have the brumation box ready for use. Regular baths are required to help clear their system for their sleep. You need to weigh regularly and keep a log to spot any drastic weight loss. The links provided on earlier answers will also explain more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi ... Since I don’t have an extra fridge I was planning on keeping him in one of our rooms. I’m going to close the vent so it will stay cool in there.
The temp hasn’t dropped below 85 during the day and the lows are at 65 - 70. We are suppose to get cold front at the beginning of next so I’m going to ween him off food slowly this week. I hope everything goes well.
Read the thread. He needs at least two weeks of warm temps, daily soaks, and no food to empty his gut, BEFORE the temperature starts to drop.