Hibernating Russian tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingsleythetortoise

5 Year Member
Hi! i just bought my first russian tortoise less than a week ago and i think he is trying to hibernate! he is burrowing under his substrate stuff and he hasnt eaten or pooped since i got him! i was wondering if there is any way to stop him from hibernating because i have heard that russian tortoises dont need to hibernate in captivity! i REALLY do not want him to hibernate!!!!!!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
part of his hiding could be because he is new.... but you need to keep him warm and 14 hours of light a day...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
yes, make sure your temps are OK: 95F on the basking side. 70F on the cool side. Around 80f in between. Do you have a good way to measure temps like an infared thermometer?

Are you soaking him daily? get him/her up and do this. 'Baby warm' water, about 15 minutes.

He is either too hot, too cold, still adjusting, etc. But you need to help him out.

Nami The tortoise

5 Year Member
Texas
When it gets cold it is a torts reaction to try to go into hibernation, try making sure it has a good food amount that is avalible to him and make sure your temps aren't to low! ( or too high ).

Status
Not open for further replies.