Russian tortoise hibernating

Cheyenneandharper

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi
My Russian tortoise is probably about 5 years old but this is my first year having her, she has been trying to hibernate so I am finally starting the hibernation process for her it has been two weeks since her last feeding, she sleeps for days until I wake her up to soak her and put her under the heat to help her poop, I don’t know if she has pooped the cage is big and deep so I can’t find any poop if she has, I’m worried that she hasn’t pooped and that the food will rot. Can anyone give me tips to make sure I am hibernating her correctly?

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hi
My Russian tortoise is probably about 5 years old but this is my first year having her, she has been trying to hibernate so I am finally starting the hibernation process for her it has been two weeks since her last feeding, she sleeps for days until I wake her up to soak her and put her under the heat to help her poop, I don’t know if she has pooped the cage is big and deep so I can’t find any poop if she has, I’m worried that she hasn’t pooped and that the food will rot. Can anyone give me tips to make sure I am hibernating her correctly?
Are you artificially hibernating? I keep my russian tortoises and all my other turtles outside year round here in TN(cold tolerant species). I let my russian tortoises hibernate similarly to my box turtles. I reduce their food intake as the temperature drops. I'm sure to soak them several times before they go into brumation to make sure they are hydrated as well as clear them out. Currently, all of them are literally underground in their hide outdoors. They've literally dug to where I can't reach them if I tried; below the frost line and under leaves. So it's best not to disturb them. Reptiles die faster from heat than they do cold. They're cold blooded and ectothermic using the sun to warm their blood. Constantly heating them up and cooling them down could kill them or possibly lead to a respiratory infection, so it's best not to disturb her and let her do her thing. Of course it's natural to worry, so you can check on her. She should be cleared out by now from all the soaks. Let her stay at the cooler temperatures until it is time for her to resurface. Hopefully I was of help. I'm sure someone else will chime in and add details I missed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi
Scroll down to post number 19 for some tips: