1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Discussion in 'Marginated tortoises' started by salemkat, Nov 14, 2017.

1. salemkat

salemkat New Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Southampton UK
    I am in two minds about hibernating my margie. He is just over two years old I have read so many conflicting things about age and size.

I need some advice on the subject, please. Part of me is afraid to hibernate him as I do not want to make a mistake at the same time I do not want to cause him any long term damage by not doing it. I have noticed the last couple of days he had been later getting up and eating very little.

I live in the UK
  2. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Kent, South East England
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    They don’t have to be hibernated. We don’t recommend hibernating them in the first year of ownership as you don’t fully know the health and habits of your tort.

Personally, I don’t like hibernating them when under 500g weight either. They need some bulk to see through the period.
    salemkat likes this.