Hibernation Temp??

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
My wife wanted me to hibernate the herd in their own fridge this year so I bought a dorm fridge big enough to fit all the tort. I have it set as warm as it will allow it fluctuates between 47-49 degrees. Is this too cold??

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
My wife wanted me to hibernate the herd in their own fridge this year so I bought a dorm fridge big enough to fit all the tort. I have it set as warm as it will allow it fluctuates between 47-49 degrees. Is this too cold??
I'd say not cold enough. It should be more at about 40-41 I believe

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Oops sorry typo I meant 37-30.
Too low! 30°F would be -1°C which is below freezing. This can be deadly. Try to find a way to keep the temperatures higher. I use a programmable thermostat (I believe that's what it is called). It cuts the electric current to the fridge if the temperatures drop below a certain amount.

Or did you mean 39°? That would be the lowest I would go. My theramostat cuts at aboit 39.5.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've heard different things for russians and I've seen people do it at all sort of temps. I think somewhere around 40-45 is ideal. Some people have noted that they remain active as low as 48, but I would not want to get them too close to freezing.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Mine have 'stayed down' in a fridge for hibernation at temps of 40-45, as Tom mentions.
I would work on trying to raise the temps a bit.