Hibernation

allyenc

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello! My desert tortoise started hibernating around the last week of november and it’s now January 26.. I have checked in on him regularly (like poking his foot n such) to make sure he’s alive and ok but today I went to go check on him and his head was sticking out a little bit.. which he’s never done during hibernation.. his eyes were closed as usual and I poked his foot this time and I didn’t feel any movement.. is this normal? should I be worried?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where is the tortoise brumating and what is the temperature?

allyenc

California
He is brumating in an enclosure outdoors and the current temperature right now is 45 degrees Fahrenheit but it is higher throughout the day around 50-60s

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He is brumating in an enclosure outdoors and the current temperature right now is 45 degrees Fahrenheit but it is higher throughout the day around 50-60s
Its not safe to do it this way. The temperatures swing too much and outside they are exposed to insects and rodents while in their torpid state. Our warm winter spells wake them, and sometimes they eat, and then try to go back down when the colder winter weather returns. The food in their gut can kill them.

If he survives this year, you need to either keep him up and warm next year in a heated indoor enclosure, or hibernate him at consistent cold temperatures while protecting him from the elements. I do this in a fridge indoors.