Hibiscus, iron, and mint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Ok my mom in law cut down her two hibiscus plants and wants me to take them. Question though the one plant had really pale leaves instead of the bright green, and she said it was because she didn't give it iron.

So two questions....

She hasn't put iron on them in a year, would there be any residual iron let after a year and if so will it harm the torts??

The light hibiscus leaves are they ok to feed or do they have problems that might come back to the torts?

Just trying to decide if I should feed them or save them for winter to cover the pens.

Also she has a bunch of mint for me to plant to try and get rid of ants. If the torts decide to eat them will they get sick? Checking before I decide to plant.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I'd plant hibiscus and let it establish over winter. If the plants were grown without any insecticide they would be ok. My torts nibble at my mint but don't go wild about it. Mint won't hurt them.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jen, I agree with Itort. Let the hibiscus establish over winter. As long as they have not had anything (pesticides, insecticides, etc.) for 3 months they should be fine. Hibiscus drop their leave or they turn yellow if conditions are not right for them (too much water, too little water, etc) here is a site that tells you about this. http://www.strictlyhibiscus.com/care.html
And I have mint (wild spearmint) and my torts aren't crazy about it either but they do occasionally eat it and it is fine for them to eat.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks, I have hibiscus, but mine are getting bare, and a bag of hibiscus sound really good. I'll give it since she hasn't put anything on it in over a year. I plant the mint in and out, I am trying to get rid of bugs, since I don't use pest control.

Status
Not open for further replies.