High heat high humidity

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
I’ve always struggled keeping the humidity high with high heat. Then i discovered this personal humidifier. Now I’m 90% humidity and 90F. My Leopard pardalis pardalis hatchling’s enclosure is now properly maintained. I use paper towels for the first year. It’s not aesthetically pleasing, but for me, I’d rather smooth growth. Once they are over a year old and get over the “fast” growth period, they will move into a more suitable substrate.

IMG_1419.jpgIMG_1375.jpgIMG_1377.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Paper towels are not a good substrate because they eat them.

I can't see how open the enclosure is on top, but the reason you are having humidity troubles is because you don't have 3-4 inches of damp substrate. With the proper substrate and a closed chamber, your humidity will stay up where you want it without a humidifier.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I actually disagree with Tom on this one. I’ve been using moist paper towels for 2 years now and I find it to be the ideal substrate for humidity, sanitation, and safety. Even if ingested it passes through the digestive system much easier than mulches,coco coir, soils etc. . My babies-juvies have done fantastic with a similar husbandry method and my babies are super smooth. I say keep doing what you are doing until they reach 5+ inches.

IMG_6950.jpg
IMG_6960.jpg

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have been trying out some outdoor carpet, holds moisture well they can't eat it, flys and bugs can't take up.residence. Cleaning it is no harder than changing substrate. I can see how convenient paper towels would be for cleaning. But a baby sulcata would shred it all up. Leopards are much less destructive.

Cbowe

New York
I actually disagree with Tom on this one. I’ve been using moist paper towels for 2 years now and I find it to be the ideal substrate for humidity, sanitation, and safety. Even if ingested it passes through the digestive system much easier than mulches,coco coir, soils etc. . My babies-juvies have done fantastic with a similar husbandry method and my babies are super smooth. I say keep doing what you are doing until they reach 5+ inches.

View attachment 229413
View attachment 229414
Your torts look amazing. I plan on buying soon and can only hope they turn out like yours.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used paper towel for one of my hatchlings just for its first couple days of life and he ate some of it. Used nothing after that until he was about a week or so old then right in on coir. He was housed in a small box within the closed chamber until he went onto the coir.

LeaCrystal

5 Year Member

View attachment 229413
View attachment 229414
How old is the second leopard you have??