Homemade lid for terrarium

Trihog

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
montgomery, tx
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg hello- I have read many threads on here about raising sulcatas and using enclosed terrariums to keep them the right temp/humidity. I just bought a 40 gallon and a new hood from someone in my neighborhood that I am now using for my 2 sulcatas (5 month old). I built a lid using 3/4 inch plywood and cutting the bottom out for mounting my hood and allowing a little air flow. I also cut a line and added hinges so I can feed easily and slide the lid to gain access when needed. Please take a look at the pictures and advise me of any changes you would make( besides painting it the color of the room and adding the molding that is already in the room- I am on that).

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Look greats but how will you maintain night heat? Also you shouldn't house pairs together, this won't last long for a 5 month old Sulcata

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So you have a UVB light in the aquarium hood? What is providing the heat?

Trihog

5 Year Member
montgomery, tx
It has a 24" uvb light, a basking and a ceramic heat bulb. I am not sure of the brand because I bought it second hand and it is not labeled. I am able to turn the uvb and basking bulb at night while keeping the heat with the ceramic one.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Welcome to the forum, and it's great you are doing everything to provide the best for your sulcatas.

Since you asked for suggestions, let me offer a few suggestions:

Depending upon the type of UVB bulb, it does look from what I see, it is mounted too high to give them effective UVB at tortoise level. Unless it is a "HO" bulb it would need to be more in the 12-14" range.

Your tortoises do look good, but I feel you will have trouble keeping both heat and humidity up it that enclosure with any openings in the hood.

Looks like you have timothy hay in there. With humidity it can mold, but perhaps it is just in there for grazing. Timothy hay is quite thick and stemmy. I really prefer orchard grass hay - as easier for them to eat.

As I'm sure you're aware - that is too small for them to get the activity and exercise they need.

Is your CHE on a thermostat? Really need that.

Trihog

5 Year Member
montgomery, tx
That you on all accounts.
The bulb that is being used came with the hood from the owners. They are not sure of the age so I plan to replace asap. The hay is for grazing and I will change to something easier for the future. Good advice-
What type of thermostat do you recommend? This set up holds the heat much better than the screen on my last one.
I need to check the humidity and make sure it stays right.

I built 4x4 run for them to use in the evenings and weekends. I plan to get some 2x12's to make something I do not have to worry as much about.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That you on all accounts.
The bulb that is being used came with the hood from the owners. They are not sure of the age so I plan to replace asap. The hay is for grazing and I will change to something easier for the future. Good advice-
What type of thermostat do you recommend? This set up holds the heat much better than the screen on my last one.
I need to check the humidity and make sure it stays right.

I built 4x4 run for them to use in the evenings and weekends. I plan to get some 2x12's to make something I do not have to worry as much about.

I use inkbird thermostats that you wire yourself. Very easy to do and can be done complete for under $20. It can be built into something however you wish that way. Here is a post I did on how to set one up:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...less-than-20-and-how-you-can-build-in.138789/

There is also a ready made inkbird that is all ready plug and play. It's about $30. You can find either one on Amazon. Here's the ready made one...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01486LZ50/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I think something bigger ASAP would be good for you. 4x4 is too small. They are very active tortoises and need to roam. Also much more enjoyable that way too as they learn to rush over to you quickly looking for hand-outs!