Homer's problem

Jenminer

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Perhaps someone can shed some light on something that's been puzzling me. I've watched a You Tube video staring a Sulcata tortoise called Homer, and Homer seems hell bent on chasing down his owner. I get the impression that Homer's intentions are hostle. I have no prior history on Homer, all I know is that Homer is about the size of a garbage can lid and I don't know the sex of this motivated animal either. I still don't own a tortoise, but I understand they can be territorial. I've seen that behavior from several of my other animals, including my female bearded dragons. Is Homer being territorial? Is this common for Sulcatas? I can't imagine it would be fun to be run down by a ticked off Sulcata.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
It would not be fun. He certainly could be aggressive, but I think what is more likely is that he associates his owner with food. I have a few tortoises that will come "running" toward me and attempt to climb up my legs when I walk into their enclosures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never seen that kind of aggression toward a human with sulcatas. I've seen it in male Testudo, male CA DTs, and in male SA leopards, but not in any other species.

Not having seen the video, I'm guessing this is food motivated. Back in the days when I was following the bad advice of feed them very little and feed them infrequently, my poor sulcatas were always famished. They would all come running whenever anyone came near their enclosure. I used to joke that they were "attack" trained just like my dogs. If I was able to keep a straight face, people would leap out of the enclosure as the charging tortoises approached.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I have a 100 pound sulcata. He has never charged at me, but occasionally he has gone on "rampages", dragging the lawn furniture all over the yard. Sometimes we have feral cats and kittens in our yard. He will stand near them, probably trying to intimidate them into leaving, but he never attempts to touch them. If I'm standing in my sulcata's way, he will walk on my feet to get where he wants to go. He doesn't understand the concept of walking around things, which is why he drags the lawn furniture around, which is the heavy teak stuff, not the lightweight aluminum. If I have food for my sulcata and he knows it, he will come quite fast towards me, which is a little scary, but his aim is the treat, not me. If I'm barefoot or wearing sandals, he might try to nibble my toes, thinking they are food.

Bee62

Germany
Do you mean this video ?
I don`t think that Homer the tortoise is agressive. I wouldn`t have fear. I would love it if my tortoises would follow me some day like Homer.
But see the video:

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
That is pretty normal behavior for a sulcata.
After viewing those, I noticed this one, which has a comment that someone in Florida has an Aldabra and 3 sulcatas that all over 60 years old!

Jenminer

Northern California
Yep, that's Homer. So sounds like everyone thinks he's after food. I assumed he was trying to drive his owner out of his yard, but since I have no experience with tortoise behavior yet I will accept everyones' opinions. Another question, if a Sulcata is that enthusiastic about getting a handout should the animal be fed more? But if the tortoise is well fed and still coming at you like a tank how do you handle such affection without getting run over?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Yep, that's Homer. So sounds like everyone thinks he's after food. I assumed he was trying to drive his owner out of his yard, but since I have no experience with tortoise behavior yet I will accept everyones' opinions. Another question, if a Sulcata is that enthusiastic about getting a handout should the animal be fed more? But if the tortoise is well fed and still coming at you like a tank how do you handle such affection without getting run over?
I don't think Charlie would run over me. He steps on my feet if I'm not careful, and he is really heavy! I try to avoid him if I'm not wearing shoes because toes often look like something to eat. Charlie has the entire yard for food. Grass and weeds are everywhere, so he isn't hungry. When I'm giving him a treat, it is something he can't get himself, like a branch from the hibiscus tree. I think it is probably a bad idea to get your large breed tortoise used to eating out of your hand because when he gets bigger, he could bite your hand. Tortoises aren't that fast so it is pretty easy to step out of the way if you think you are about to be run over. I've sat down on the grass and Charlie will come over but won't climb on me.

Jenminer

Northern California
I kind of wondered if hand feeding a large tortoise could lead to undesired behavior at some point and my poultry taught me long ago not to wear sandals around them, toes must be good to eat right? Thanks all for helping me to understand Homer.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I kind of wondered if hand feeding a large tortoise could lead to undesired behavior at some point and my poultry taught me long ago not to wear sandals around them, toes must be good to eat right? Thanks all for helping me to understand Homer.
Somewhere on the forum, @maggie3fan posted pictures when her giant very friendly sulcata tried to climb into her lap. She said it was painful.