Horsefield tortoise with one small, cloudy weeping eye?

Chldvs

Hello all, I have two 1 year old horsefield tortoises: a charming, laid back boy called Exodus who loves his food- and a girl named Oddysee, who absolutely loves exploring (always climbing on things and then can't get down, always trying to get out of the cage) but has never been mad on food.

For the last two weeks or so we do not recognise Oddysee. She's eating next to nothing, she won't come out of her little house of her own accord (if we bring her out she goes straight back in) and her exploring has stopped. One of her eyes is still round glossy and black, but the other is swollen, looks more sunken compared to the other and is cloudy and weeping. I wanted to know if there is anything I can do before we consult a vet. Are there any eye drops I can try? They have a really good quality lamp, and we give them a good varied diet of things like cress, letuces and tortoise food (pellets you soak in water) which we always sprinkle a bit of calcium dust on. We give them everything they need and our boy tortoise is so healthy and happy. Can anybody help? I've also read to bathe her eye in steril salt water with a cotton ball, but I'm not comfortable just going ahead and doing that, I really need some proper direction, i don't like thinking she's in pain :( thank you

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Are they housed together? This could be a resualt of bullying. Horsefield are aggresive and they do not like company. Your girl may be hiding to stay out of your boys way. If they are together try to put her in her own spwce and see if she comes out more.
What kind of lighting do you use? Coil bulbs are known to cause eye problems...

Chldvs

Hello, thank you for your reply. they are housed together yes. We never see any bullying, they usually just rest their heads on each other peacefully and the girl used to try and climb on the male to get to where she wants to go haha. Of course we don't know what goes on at night. Although sometimes I do think the boy may have got her in the eye accidentally perhaps, or a bit of straw... But would that not heal by now? As for the bulb, It is not coiled. Forgive me I don't know too much about it as we bought it off the previous owner of the tortoises. She said it was a good one she paid a lot for. PIC is attached. Thank you

Attachments

• 1434282631749-58897853.jpg
    1434282631749-58897853.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
You don't see bullying often. It is not obvious aggression. They are territorial solitary animals. This is why she has been trying to escape. She is trying to get out of his territory and can't. It is imperitive that you give her her own space.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
You won't see a lot of the bullying. And a lot of it is mental anyway the submissive tort knows the are the weaker one and basically will waste away. 9 out 10 this is what happens. Its sad but true. That bulb looks fine but make sure you change it at least once or twice a year, the uv rays wear out over time. Your tank looks dry this could cause your eye issue too. They need at least 30% humidity.