Horsfield Advice - Not eating, No toileting

DazKit90

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
Hi Guys
Leo is a Horsfield tortoise around 9/10 months old.
He’s stopped eating for around a week now, although I managed to coax him into eating one leaf today.
I’ve also not seen him poop now since about 1-2 weeks ago.
He’s pretty lethargic recently but keep putting him under his light throughout the day and he’ll roam around for a while before retreating back to bed.
I’ve also been soaking him to see if that will help but so far have not seen him pass urine or feaces. Overall his shell looks fine as do his eyes, nose mouth etc.
I’m going to ring the vet tomorrow for advice but wondering if you guys have ever experienced this and how did it go?
Under his bulb is around 30-32 degrees Celsius and 24 at the cool end. The ambient room temperature is around 20 at all times. The overall weather around here has gone cold recently but not sure if that would have any bearing?
Thanks for any advice

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Hi Guys
Leo is a Horsfield tortoise around 9/10 months old.
He’s stopped eating for around a week now, although I managed to coax him into eating one leaf today.
I’ve also not seen him poop now since about 1-2 weeks ago.
He’s pretty lethargic recently but keep putting him under his light throughout the day and he’ll roam around for a while before retreating back to bed.
I’ve also been soaking him to see if that will help but so far have not seen him pass urine or feaces. Overall his shell looks fine as do his eyes, nose mouth etc.
I’m going to ring the vet tomorrow for advice but wondering if you guys have ever experienced this and how did it go?
Under his bulb is around 30-32 degrees Celsius and 24 at the cool end. The ambient room temperature is around 20 at all times. The overall weather around here has gone cold recently but not sure if that would have any bearing?
Thanks for any advice
I'm not really an expert and when more experienced members answer do what they say. My little Russian is older but I do go through this with him every year. Your little one might be trying to hibernate because of the changes in the seasons. What I do because I don't hibernate, is keep his temps and humidity as regular. I will wake him up if he tries to sleep too much or just do usual care and handling. I've also found that adding some vitamins on a favorite food helps. My little guy gets more active after all that around December. But hello and welcome to the TFO.?