Horsfield Tortoise - Prolapse??

Aries98x

Location (City and/or State)
London
I have a Horsfield tortoise (I was told they were around 2 years old) that looked as though he was doing a poo earlier but instead this red sack like thing was stuck by his tail. I soaked him in some warm water and it seemed to go back inside, but now it's out again.

I looked online and someone suggested it may be a prolapse and I'm not sure how serious that is?

I rang the vets and have booked an appointment tonight - but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should be doing in the meantime/what it could be?

evvacz

London
I have a Horsfield tortoise (I was told they were around 2 years old) that looked as though he was doing a poo earlier but instead this red sack like thing was stuck by his tail. I soaked him in some warm water and it seemed to go back inside, but now it's out again.

I looked online and someone suggested it may be a prolapse and I'm not sure how serious that is?

I rang the vets and have booked an appointment tonight - but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should be doing in the meantime/what it could be?

Hi,

Let me know please I it did go, as mine has shown something under his tail too -only today. Please update.

Eva

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
As long as it goes back in, it's perfectly fine, and normal. Tortoises will flash at times.

If the tortoise is ever unable to pull it back in, and it is stuck, that would be a prolapse and would need to see a Vet.

Bébert81

Toulouse, France
If the tortoise is ever unable to pull it back in, and it is stuck, that would be a prolapse and would need to see a Vet.
If you are in this case you can try to put on it very carefully with a cotton bud with vaseline.
If you don't succeed keep it greased to avoid necrosis due to dryness and go to the vet ASAP.