Hot summer days for a Russian!!

Noahsark

Location (City and/or State)
Hollywood florida
i live in south Florida in a condo. My balcony faces west so in the summer it gets supper hot in the afternoon till the sun sets!! What should I do? If a make a table for him with hides with a flower pot and dirt will he be ok? Please send your ideas!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Put him out in the mornings and late afternoons when it's not the hottest part of the day.
Or
Make the substrate deep enough that he can bury himself under a planted plant, hide or shade spot. Like a 8 to 12 inches deep

Noahsark

Hollywood florida
Put him out in the mornings and late afternoons when it's not the hottest part of the day.
Or
Make the substrate deep enough that he can bury himself under a planted plant, hide or shade spot. Like a 8 to 12 inches deep
Thank you it really get hot probably like 110 plus super humid. I was thinking about building a wood table and walls 24 inches high. So the substrate will be about 12 deep and packed around a flower pot.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you it really get hot probably like 110 plus super humid. I was thinking about building a wood table and walls 24 inches high. So the substrate will be about 12 deep and packed around a flower pot.
That should work. You could also put one of those windshield blankets over one end. They reflect the sun and heat away from what they are on. Not sure what they are called.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I live in Phx AZ . And I have 6 Russians and it gets real hot here in the summer . They just get out of the sun in the summer . ( they just dig in and come out in the evenings and early mornings )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Whatever you do, check the temperatures where the tortoise will be very carefully with multiple thermometers before you put a tortoise out there.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I see your in Hollywood, I'm from Broward also. I don't think it will get 110 degrees on your balcony if you provide some shade. I don't ever remember it getting that hot there.

Noahsark

Hollywood florida
I see your in Hollywood, I'm from Broward also. I don't think it will get 110 degrees on your balcony if you provide some shade. I don't ever remember it getting that hot there.
Thanks but that afternoon sun beating out there feels like it!! I’ll build a table with a 2 foot wall and a deep hide in top soil. And maybe put a car sunshade on that side. I was at Home Depot today and I was trying to find a topsoil with out the additives. Any tips and what wood chips?