Housing together

Lirium

Hello! Im new here, I had a quick question..
I have an american boxie, and I was wondering if it would be safe to put in an asian boxie that my mother had given me? There is ample room in the outside enclosure, but Ive heard people say its not safe for them to be together, and others say it is... can you guys weigh in and list the why yes or why no? Please and thank you!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Species should not be mixed as there is a risk that 'germs' that one tolerates may make another species very sick indeed.

Torts do not do well as pairs. They are solitary creatures and territorial. Another tort is competition for food and space and the dominant animal will bully the the subordinate.
See this : http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

Groups of 3 or more torts of the same species may succeed in very large outdoor enclosures with plenty of sight barriers, but there are no guarantees and the keeper has to acknowledge that splitting them may be necessary. In any case, a new tort must be kept in quarantine entirely separately for at least 6 months before being introduced to a herd.

You must keep these torts separately.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Joe's Mum spelled it all out very well. I agree with every word.

Lirium

Thank you
Species should not be mixed as there is a risk that 'germs' that one tolerates may make another species very sick indeed.

Torts do not do well as pairs. They are solitary creatures and territorial. Another tort is competition for food and space and the dominant animal will bully the the subordinate.
See this : http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

Groups of 3 or more torts of the same species may succeed in very large outdoor enclosures with plenty of sight barriers, but there are no guarantees and the keeper has to acknowledge that splitting them may be necessary. In any case, a new tort must be kept in quarantine entirely separately for at least 6 months before being introduced to a herd.

You must keep these torts separately.

Thank you very much for the explanation. They wont be housed together ^^