Houston Repticon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
I was very sadden by this show. It was 99% snakes with 3 vendors selling torts. I watched as unsuspecting buyers fell in love with the tiny Sullies and dropped their $$ on the counter and walked away with "a really cute turtle" . I chased after them and complimented their choice and then showed pictures of my big sullies and some truly big beasts. After they picked their jaws off the ground and put their eyes back in their heads I referred them to TFO. I also was so shocked to see the extent of the pyramiding in 1-3month babies. It all broke my heart and there were several moments I considered stuffing baby torts in my big purse and absconding with them :-(

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I made a post recently after attending a show here in San Antonio. Firstly, you're right, there was a ton of snakes, specifically balls and corns. Secondly the few guys with tortoises didn't seem too knowledgeable. There were some nice smooth young sulcatas but also some heavily pyramided ones there were very young just like you menioned. I was also disappointed in the prices. I saw some nice looking marginated and hermans and IIRC they were around 200.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
They should just call them Snake/Lizard show. The prices were all over the place. They ranged from $60-$150 for Sullies under 4mos. When I was looking at the $60 Sullies some yahoo with his 6yo came up and said "you got the cheapest turtles I'll take one of those for my kid" the breeder didn't even correct him on the basic fact they are tortoises or that his son was too young to take care of a tort properly. Nor did the guy seem to care that numerous looked lethargic, not eating, nor opening their eyes even when you picked them up...or that at 3 mos they were severely pyramided. The breeder had them (11) in a plastic shoebox and when she turned around to look for a box for the torty to go home in I honestly considered taking the box and running. Ya I don't think I will be able to goto another show and not end up in jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.