How big of housing does she need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shalon

5 Year Member
My boyfriend is getting ready to build Tortoise (that is her name so far as we haven't come up with anything else) a new tortoise table. We aren't sure what size to make it though. I know bigger is better and all that but we only have so much room in our house. I looked at redfoots.com but the only actual housing recommendations I found were for hatchlings and yearlings. She isn't either of those. If I click on the housing link and then adult enclosures it just takes me to the forum, which I've read. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time because I can't afford to be redoing it.

We were going to probably make it out of plywood and then line it with vinyl. We are going to get a ceramic heat emitter for heat, but am not sure if she needs any other light. I have read that you can use a plant/aquarium light but that they don't need a uvb light. Is this the general consensus?

We are going to use the moss recommended by redfoots.com if we can find it. I am kind of worried about what kind of hiding spot to get for her though. I haven't really seen much that she'd actually fit in at the stores so I'm not sure what to do.

I have tried looking through the housing section for information and ideas but haven't seen much about redfoots and indoor houses.

Thank you for any help. :)

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Shalon said:
My boyfriend is getting ready to build Tortoise (that is her name so far as we haven't come up with anything else) a new tortoise table. We aren't sure what size to make it though. I know bigger is better and all that but we only have so much room in our house. I looked at redfoots.com but the only actual housing recommendations I found were for hatchlings and yearlings. She isn't either of those. If I click on the housing link and then adult enclosures it just takes me to the forum, which I've read. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time because I can't afford to be redoing it.

We were going to probably make it out of plywood and then line it with vinyl. We are going to get a ceramic heat emitter for heat, but am not sure if she needs any other light. I have read that you can use a plant/aquarium light but that they don't need a uvb light. Is this the general consensus?

We are going to use the moss recommended by redfoots.com if we can find it. I am kind of worried about what kind of hiding spot to get for her though. I haven't really seen much that she'd actually fit in at the stores so I'm not sure what to do.

I have tried looking through the housing section for information and ideas but haven't seen much about redfoots and indoor houses.

Thank you for any help. :)

What type of a red foot do you have? Knowing its adult size would certainly help. How big is it now? How big of an area could you devote strictly to Tortoise?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
this is my minimun rule of thumb for indoor enclosure size. I was once told it is a square foot for every square inch or turtle or tortoise. now of it is a hatchling you will need to consider it's future size also. I hoped this has helped a little.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
That's what I use too! One square foot. So, if you have a 6 inch tortoise you'll need 6ft total of space.

You have that adult cherry head, right? here's how to measure her: http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm Once you know her measurements, and post them, it will be easier to tell you what would be best...Since she might still have some growing left.

Shalon

5 Year Member
I'm not sure how old she is. She is a cherry head red foot. I measured her and she is 7 & 1/2 inches.
Dustun (my boyfriend) was thinking of making it 8 feet by 4 feet but if we need it bigger we will make it bigger.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
That will be plenty big. Perfect :) My girl is about the same size.. unfortunately I only have room for 16sq ft for her... but it still seems big enough for her to be happy in and roam around

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Plywood should work fine. I would use as thick of a plastic as you can get, such as pond liner, shower pan liner, or a very thick shower curtain. Use a staple gun and overlap any layers if needed. You can also seal the wood with water-based polyurethane if you want. Use several coats and let it de-fume for several days.

The opinion on UVB varies. It's a personal decision based on your research. I don't have a Redfoot so can't make a personal recommendation. If you have ambient light in the room, ceramic heat emitters (you will need more than one likely depending on room temperature, due to the enclosure size, although covering parts of the enclosure will help keep heat in) will be great.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Different sources offer different numbers for space. Redfoots generally do OK if crowded, but we really want them to feel comfy and stress-free. I prefer a modified German standard- 8 adult shell lengths by 4 adult shell lengths for one, doubled for two (either twice as wide, twice as long, or set up as an L, etc.), and add another shell length to the above if you are doing 3-5, etc.

For Red-foots in general, this means about 8'x4'. For my herd of 5, I am trying to find a good place for a 9x9' habitat or bigger, but I've got a couple years to go.

trixie

5 Year Member
alamogordo, NM
i have 2 red foots what is recommended to keep the humidity level right i find it hard to keep god from. also at what size do you all recommend to try to have them outside in a habitat

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Shalon, your RF could get 14 to 16 inches long so about double her size or a bit more. If you only want to make one enclosure plan her size at 16 inches. I would use the Yearling enclosure method that is on www.Redfoots.com at the end of the directions to the yearling enclosure it states "for adults adjust for their size". He also suggests a Aqua/plant light rather than a UVB lamp.

Tricia, to keep humidity up you have have the right kind of substrate and sometimes spray often, keep a cover over most of the habitat or keep a humidifyer if you have them in a room of their own. You can have them outside during the day at the 3 inches if the outside temp is warm enough and you have an enclosure that is predator proof including from above. Read www.redfoots.com

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Trixie- torts can go outside as soon as...
- the air and soil temps are good (70ish for young'uns, 65ish for big'uns, but not too hot)
- they can be kept safe from escape (smaller torts obviously can fit through smaller openings)
- you can keep them safe from predators, especially birds (so include a cover of some sort)
- and, in NM, you can provide good humidity, and
- it does not stress you out thinking about them all the time.

This assumes you are also providing good food, water, hiding places, etc.

My yearling routinely goes outside, but my yard is well-fenced, the pen is surrounded by a 14" high tin wall that is slightly sunken in, and there is protection from overhead predation. I love the more natural behaviors I see when they are outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.