How can I help 3 box turtles? (Update)

turtlelou

5 Year Member
My husband and I took the kids to a nice well known Hamilton county park on sunday. We went into the nature center and what I saw from there was pure torture for me to see.
I saw 3 box turtles that were in their own separate 10 gallon tanks. They had very overgrown beaks and nails that were so long they bent back. They had maybe 1 inch of wood chips and a soaking bowl. They had bulbs over them and all showed signs of pyramiding dryness and honestly it just about broke my heart. These people are giving nature classes about these turtles! Are you kidding me? I could pick up the small one only, the others were locked in the cages. Her shell was so dry that the bottom of her shell was rough and so dried out.
I asked the ladies at the front who was in charge of taking care of the turtles. She was very proud to say they all do. They feed them wax worms and fruit everyday. I was so livid I had to leave. Seriously...I wanted to take them all!
What do I do from here? Who do I call? I can't believe they are still there...and have been there suffering.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You must bite your tongue and be very kind and gentle. As soon as you get riled up and accusatory, you lose your audience. Best thing for you to do would be print out a good care sheet and give it to the supervisor of the center, mentioning at the same time that the turtles were suffering from overgrown beaks and nails (which probably also includes MBD), showing them pictures of what beaks should look like. But you must be humble or your info won't be accepted.

Last edited:

turtlelou

5 Year Member
You must bite your tongue and be very kind and gentle. As soon as you get riled up and accusatory, you lose your audience. Best thing for you to do would be print out a good care sheet and give it to the supervisor of the center, mentioning at the same time that the turtles were suffering from overgrown beaks and nails (which probably also includes MVB), showing them pictures of what beaks should look like. But you must be humble or your info won't be accepted.

But why? Why are these the people who get to care for these poor turtles? Why don't they KNOW?! It's so sad to me. I knew before I read a response what it would be. I cant believe it. Isn't it animal cruelty? They are obviously not healthy...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, but you don't know the whole story, do you? Maybe they received the turtles in that condition and they are working on getting them better (probably not, but you really can't jump to conclusions).

The best thing you can do is try to educate them. Refer them to our forum, give them care sheets, be concerned, but not hostile, and you might be able to make a difference.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
People's ignorance some time become their ego. When you hurting their ego they will become very defensive.

Then the animal under their care will be continue on the loss end of the deal.

turtlelou

5 Year Member
Ok, so I guess I need to do some research for them. I really hope they care to listen...

turtlelou

5 Year Member
What if I call the wildlife officer for that county? Do you think it's worth asking him?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You can try the officer, but I don't know how much power they have. Remember you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I would contact everyone I knew, give them a care sheet and have them mail it with a note about the box turtles, if it looks like a lot of people are complaiing. instead of one lone perso it might have a bigger impact.

turtlelou

5 Year Member
Anyone want to share a care sheet? I have the stickied care sheet so far and some facts I found online.

turtlelou

5 Year Member
I called and talked to the person in charge of these turtles, he welcomed all of my information and asked for my help! He also asked if I would be willing to educate the other parks too! I'm so excited! The only problem is that I've only kept boxies outside lol. I've never maintained them inside. I need help guys! I need to give these little guys their best chance! They are sad looking...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Inside boxie care is simple really, UVB, some space, lots of hides, humid, all makes a happy box turtle. How well it is done, will depend on their budget (funds)

turtlelou

5 Year Member
He said they just have a white incadescent bulb on them now. He said there maybe other tanks or cages that are bigger in the storage room :). He said they could spend some money too!
Does the UVB make it humid if the area is misted everyday? I

Pameladale

5 Year Member
I just want to say what your doing is awesome! too many people see animals not in good conditions and dont do anything about it

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
So glad you had some success. Low light, high humidity and plenty of plants and some leaf litter, for them to hide under. I HATE seeing Box Turtles inside, but you are doing the best thing by educating. Where I live there is a zoo that has two Mex. box turtles in deplorable conditions. I tried so hard being nice, but nothing worked. They whole zoo should be condemned. I'm so glad you had better luck than I did.

turtlelou

5 Year Member
Thanks, it makes me feel better knowing I have everyone's help here :).
I know boxies should live outside but I'm going to try and make it comfy for them. He did say that some were taken from bad situations, but then they never got the correct environment after they were taken. One was living off of Cheetos! I can't even imagine feeding a turtle Cheetos.
It seriously scarred me after I seen them. It was consuming my thoughts, I know they are still like that now and it drives me crazy lol. I don't understand how zoos and places like that can have animals in such bad conditions. They should know better!