How do I get rid of this paint smell?

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
So 4 days ago I painted the roof to my enclosure with polyurethane to prevent it from molding due to the moisture from the high humidity in the enclosure. I also used marine caulking to seal the edges where the wood comes together. It still has a very strong smell of paint and it has been sitting outside in the dry fresh air for 4 days. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this smell? I don't want to use it on my enclosure until the smell/fumes go away because I don't want it to irritate my tort or worse. Any suggestions?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
There may be other ways to get rid of the smell, but I read a website where this person made an enclosure and painted it with similar products you did. He explained how he had to wait a little over a week before all of the fumes and the smell was gone. He just had to wait for it to air itself out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's why I don't paint the insides of mine.

Try running a fan in there day and night. Either blow air from the outside in, or the inside out.

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
Re: RE: How do I get rid of this paint smell?

Tom said:

Try running a fan in there day and night. Either blow air from the outside in, or the inside out.

Without some type of sealer wouldn't mold grow with the high humidity absorbing into the unprotected wood?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
First and foremost when building an indoor enclosure and wanting to paint it aka/”finish” it, use a water based product for the least amount of smells after applying. There are water based polys, shellacs and stains on the market, although none of these will give you the durability as your poy/oil based products. But for application being used, will be just fine. When using “poly produts”… the issue stems from the wet wood underneath your drying product and the drying procces of your paints/stains ect..
Here are some tricks you can use to help “dissipate the smell’s”
Place a slice ( or more needed for size) of bread soaked in vinegar in the bottom of your enclosure ,placed in a bowl to where the smells are strongest. Let stand a few days.
Another …… Start by peeling and slicing an onion. Put the slice in a saucer of water and place it in the enclosure to absorb the polyurethane odor. Heat will help the smell from polyurethane to dissipate a bit more quickly, keep the temperature constant and make sure the drying process continues uninterrupted ( even at night).
And another ……Charcoal bricks in a bowl or Charcoal vacuum cleaner filters leaned up against the sides. Try a few bowls of baking soda …..cheap and very effective.

JD~:shy:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
BowDownBowser said:
Tom said:

Without some type of sealer wouldn't mold grow with the high humidity absorbing into the unprotected wood?

It doesn't in my enclosures.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Warm temps and air movement are the keys. I find when dealing with spray urethane that if I put a fan blowing directly on the item it cuts my drying time by 3/4's. Can spray 2nd coat in 15 minutes rather than an hour. Cure to touch overnight.

Good luck.